Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
T

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, September 18th, 2021 4:56 PM

Paid for 1 Gig fiber but only getting 30 Download and 50 Upload. PLEASE HELP!!!

So, I paid for 1 Gig fiber internet but on my 2017 iMac, I'm only getting 30 downloads and 50 upload speeds and my modem is literally right next to my desk. Also, when I do the speed test on my phone, I get 500 download. With my ipad, I get 800 download and upload. PLEASE HELP!!

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12055288664.png

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

2 years ago

Nothing wrong with your WiFi. It’s your iMac. An iPhone won’t get much more than 500 down/up. 

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

2 years ago

Are you using an Ethernet cable between your iMac and the Gateway?  If not, do so.  What raw connection rate are you getting between the iMac and Gateway?  Is it half or full duplex?

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

@browndk26 Well my mac is supposed to support 1gig wifi and also my iPhone runs 600 downloads and 500 uploads actually,

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/4771467340 

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

@JefferMC I don't use an Ethernet cable, but I'm trying to get one. Also, how do you check your connection rate?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

2 years ago

The fact that your iPhone is getting 600/500 on WiFi and your iMac isn’t, is a clear indication the iMac is your problem. Your iPhone or any other device won’t get 1 gig on WiFi. 

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

@browndk26 How do I fix it then, because 30 mbps is way too low. 

(edited)

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

My preference for checking the connection rate is to go here....http://192.168.1.254 then click on Diagnostics, then on Speed Test and finally, click the Run speed test button.

That will give you the download and upload speeds that the gateway can obtain directly to an AT&T server, without any influences from Internet traffic that's past the AT&T network, something most speed test apps or websites can't do.

Given your iPad speeds I'd expect your gateway speed test will be in the 940Mbps range up and down.

Scholar

• 

3.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Todymaster 

Looks like you might have your iMac set to 802.11g which is limited to 54 Mbps. Double check your Wi-Fi settings on your iMac.

If you are using Wi-Fi set it to Auto or 802.11ac or better yet 802.11ax if your AT&T Gateway is a BGW320-50x series since it supports it.

How old is your iMac?

Dave

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

2 years ago

I don't use an Ethernet cable, but I'm trying to get one. Also, how do you check your connection rate?

I really meant to check the connection rate if you were using the Ethernet cable, but it would be interesting to see the negotiated Wi-Fi connection rate as well, because that would clarify what Protocol is in use.  Unfortunately, I don't know enough about macOS to tell you how.

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

@dave006 My setting is on WiFi 5 802.11ac. My mac is around 3 years old. (I use Windows Bootcamp)

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.