Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
jakubx80's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, January 23rd, 2017 12:20 AM

Pace 5268AC with router - can't connect to home server

Hi there,

I did a lot of search here and tried several ideas with no success.

I got 1GB fiber installed with Pace 5268AC about two weeks ago. I have two goals:
1. Take full advantage of my router for firewall, port forwarding etc. (make the gateway work as a modem)
2. Be able to access my Synology server from outside network
issues:

Things I tried:
1. DMZ+ mode
Actions:
- I selected ASUS in Firewall settings and put Pace 5268AC in DMZ+ mode.
- In advanced settings de-selcted all Enhanced Security and Attack Detection
- Put Asus in default Router mode
- Setup port forwarding on my Asus to map to Synology

Issues:
- Weirdly, even when Asus was broadcasting internet, Asus' "Check Firmware" didn't work saying there is no internet connectivity (maybe some ports are still blocked?)
- Asus seems to have access to internet for limited time only. Everything would work great for 5 to 30 mins. Speeds were good etc. Then all of a sudden all internet connectivity over WiFi and LAN died. None of the devices seemed to be connected to the internet at all. It doesn't regain internet connectivity
- Could not get connected to Synology from outside network even internet was working. Synology DNS was also reporting that it's not connected to the network.

2. Port forwarding DMZ+ off
- I reset all Pace settings to default
- I put Asus in the Access Point mode
- I selected my Asus router in Pace Firewall and forwarded port 80 to 80, and other ports as needed.
- I forwarded ports through Asus router to Synology (Synology was plugged in directly to router).

Issues:
- Even though internet works fine I can't connect to Synology from outside network

3. DMZ+ off, Asus in AP mode and Synology connected directly to Pace with port forwarding (port 80, 5000, 443) through Pace directly to Synology
- Similar to point #2 but this time I plugged Synology directly to Pace ports

Issues:

- Internet works just fine but I can't connect to Synology

After all this I can't seem to be able to connect to my home network from outside in any way. This sucks.

Does anyone have any clear ideas? Please keep in mind I've only basic knowledge on network connectivity. 

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@jakubx80

In my opinion, you are going to have to obtain a static IP address from AT&T and put your Asus in DMZ if you want to achieve your goals. In the DMZ you should have an open pipe to the AT&T network, bypassing the 5268ac firewall. I cannot provide any Asus advise because you did not specify model. I will include AT&T for their valued opinions in this matter. @ATTDSLCare

Community Support

• 

1.3K Messages

7 years ago

@jakubx80 it sounds like they are in conflict... Did you give the asus a different private lan? since the 5268 uses 192.168.1.254 then I would make the Asus 192.168.2.254

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

My router is Asus RT-AC88u. 

I tried to assign Asus a secondary LAN but I'm not sure how to do that. Can anyone please walk me through this?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

AC88U_Manual page 65

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for posting the link, I'm appreciative of all the help.

I tried assigning private network several times. I picked 192.168.2.254 as suggested and each time I ended with a router that I couldn't log into again at all. No matter which IP I would pick the connection to Asus would just time out. I had to factory reset and start over.

On a side note. I've to say that my frustration level is high. I was using Synology server for 6 years now, on 4 different providers and 2 continents. I've never had even the minor issues. Why ATT decided to give us that Pace piece of junk instead of a straightforward modem option? Is there any logical reason for this?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Ok, I did have some breakthrough. I enabled DMZ+ on Pace and kept my Asus in default router mode. Now, I changed Synology DNS to 8.8.8.8 and it started connecting and seems to be working fine. 

It appears that PACE is somehow blocking DNS access to some of the devices that are connected to my router. Roughly half of my wireless devices connected to Asus needed manual setup of DNS as 8.8.8.8 (such as my cell phones).

The devices that I haven't configured with manual DNS, such as Roku, are experiencing really long connectivity times and drop out internet connectivity frequently. 

Can anybody explain to me how this works and why it'd would work with this specific DNS but some devices would not get internet access when connected to my router with DNS in auto?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have experienced similar connectivity issues with this modem/router which I did not have with the Arris NVG599 router which it replaced.

In my case, I have access from a LAN-connected device which has a LAN IP address, to my server which has a static LAN IP address, only when accessing the server via the server's LAN address -- but not via the public Internet when addressing the server via a DNS A address record, for example, inbound.mynet.com, where, in each case, the Pace router firewall forwarding has been set to the server. 

My smartphone can access the server via the public Internet - but only when it is connected to the public Internet via the cell service provider -- but not when connected to the Pace router's WiFi -- no matter the smartphone is assigned an IP address obtained via DHCP or when made static..

When the smartphone connects to the server via the public Internet, it connects via a the cell carrier's non-LAN IP address, as fully expected.  In this case, the server's log files show that the originating IP corresponds to a cell service provider IP address.

Previously, with the Arris router, the smartphone was able to connect to the server while the smartphone was connected to the router via WiFi  --- and when it did connect under these stated conditions, the server's log files show that the originating connection IP. was the router's LAN IP:  192.168.1.254

This no longer occurs with the Pace router:

Now, there is no connection established to the server by the smartphone via router WiFi -- when the smartphone has a LAN IP address and it attempts to connect to the server via the public Internet, using an A record address.

This means that the Pace router, unlike the Arris predecessor (1) is not assigning its own LAN IP address, 192.168.1.254, to devices connected to its LAN when those devices attempt to connect to a server connected to the LAN via the public Internet using DNS A records and (2) the Pace router, similar to its predecessor Arris router, does allow connections to the server via the public Internet using DNS A records when connections to the server are made FROM the public Internet -- but not via DNS A records from inside the LAN -- ONLY via the server's LAN IP address.

The issue lies with the Pace router.

If anyone can provide further insight and/or solutions, they would be most welcome.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.