Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sat, Apr 23, 2016 7:13 PM

Pace 5268ac vs Netgear DGND4000

I have AT&T U-Verse.  Today they installed a Pace 5268ac.

I have always had a Netgear DGND4000 connected to it, which is where my internal house network runs.   But now it does not work with the 5268ac.... and I am not sure why.

I have the Pace's LAN port connected via wire to my Netgear's WAN port.. just as it was before with the last AT&T wireless router.     I have totally reset my Netgear's settings to factory.. per the AT&T technitian's instructions.  I have it set up for DHCP but it won't connect to the Pace as it used to with the previous AT&T supplied router.

Any ideas?

I tried to contact Arris customer care (they make the Pace) but they said I need to talk to the provider - AT&T.

Responses

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

4 years ago

@texasp11   These 2wire/Pace instructions from Computer Joe usually work:

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, reboot the "internal" router, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG's management interface. When I go to the "internal" router's management interface it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected.

I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

It sounds like you've done alot of this, but may be something here to help.  Good luck 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I SUPER appreciate the quick response to my thread.

The issue is that I can't get past the 1st step. 

"I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, reboot the "internal" router, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router..."

The DHCP negotiation never happens - thus the port lights never light up on the WAN port of my internal router nor the LAN port on the AT&T provided 5268ac. 

None of my cabling changed.  I have verified all the ports on the 5268ac do work, as well as all the house wiring up to my internal router (if I simply plug the cable currently going to my Internal router's WAN port into my PC it works). 

my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.3K Messages

4 years ago

My first thought is that your device is set up as a static IP address as a PC on Ethernet connects with no issue. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

-My PC was DHCP.

-As I mentioned the Netgear was DHCP... worked on the last supplied AT&T router.. but didn't with the 5268ac (even after full factory reset of the Netgear, and I set it back to DHCP).

- 5268ac who knows what it is set at but it connected to PC no issues via same port and same cables I am trying to connect the Netgear WAN port to.  Nothing hardware has changed except for AT&T replacing their old router with their new 5268ac.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Ok, more info.  I tried a few more things... I got into the 5268ac and looked at the LAN wired interfaces.  It has the port that my Linksys is plugged into as 100Mbps.  When I plug my PC directly into the 5268ac that port shows 1Gbps.  When I plug my PC into the same cable going into my Linksys its back down to 100Mbps.  When I force my PC to 1Gbps it drops the connection.

I can't find an option to force the 5268ac LAN ports to 1Gbps or any speed.  Nor to force my Linksys WAN port to 1Gbps or any speed.

So basically something changed (AT&T replacing their origininal router with the 5268ac) such that now my Linksys and the 5268ac can't talk apparently if the signal has to be negotiated down to 100Mbps.  It must be my Linksys because the PC works at 100Mbps.

What I don't understand is that before the 5268ac was there, this worked with the older AT&T provided router - no matter what the speed used to be. 

mibrnsurg

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

4 years ago

@texasp11   How old is the Linksys?   If a few years old it only may be a 10/100M unit, not 10/100/1000M gigabit unit as newer ones are. Smiley Surprised

Edit:  You would not have even noticed it b4 you got Gigapower.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more