Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thu, May 18, 2017 2:20 AM

Orbi with ATT Fiber

I'm trying to set up my new att fiber connection with my Orbi router. I get good speeds from speed test if it connects but often get webpages hanging up when loading. Netflix takes forever to start. Yesterday I tried using the orbi as a pass though device which didn't work well.

Today I have tried a bunch of stuff putting the Pace 5268AC gateway into DMZ mode (selecting the orbi as what I want to pass through not typing the IP address, turning off IVP6, and changing the DNS to google DNS. Nothing seems to have helped much. 

Should I go back to pass though with the google DNS? Should IVP6 be off? 

Responses

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

@joshiajay

I would not personally use DMZ as some devices can actually cause issues with 5268ac and other AT&T gear. Logs of 5268ac will show the issue.

Leave IPv6 disabled.

Connect a device directly to the 5268ac; Ethernet and/or WiFi. See how Netflix works.

If the direct connection works then you probably have an issue with Orbi. The issue could be configuration related. Contact Orbi support.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

So should I put the orbi router in pass through mode with DMZ off and turn off the ivp6? Is that your suggestion?

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

Definitely disable IPv6.

I would not use passthrough or DMZ unless you have specific issues with the firewall of the 5268ac.

It would be best if you configure the Orbi as if it believes that the 5268ac is nothing more than a modem. In other words, you will be cascading the Orbi. The 5268ac uses the 192.168.1.0 Class C network by default so I would make your home network a different Class C; 192.168.2.0 as an example.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

It's not the orbi. I disabled Ipv6 and connecting to the att gateway I can't get google, facebook, or netflix to load quickly on my mac or iphone. Bing and ESPN loads nearly instantly. Any other settings I can try? Do I need a new gateway? Wasted 2 hours on phone support where they had me do everything I had already done resetting the gateway. 

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

@joshiajay wrote:

It's not the orbi. I disabled Ipv6 and connecting to the att gateway I can't get google, facebook, or netflix to load quickly on my mac or iphone. Bing and ESPN loads nearly instantly. Any other settings I can try? Do I need a new gateway? Wasted 2 hours on phone support where they had me do everything I had already done resetting the gateway. 

The rational in connecting directly to the 5268ac was to minimize the complexity of your home network.

I have a 24mbps connection and all the websites you mentioned load very quickly except for Facebook which seems to be a slow starter.

Change the DNS setting on a device (don't use DHCP value) to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) and directly connect to your 5268ac. Then try those websites and see if there is improvement. If there is then move to the Orbi network.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Where do I change the DNS settings on the pace router?
ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

@joshiajay wrote:
Where do I change the DNS settings on the pace router?

You cannot change the DNS setting on AT&T router/gateways.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

I changed the DNS settings on my computer but no improvement. Any other suggestions?

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

I am definitely out of ideas and will try to get AT&T to add their thoughts. However, you never mentioned the type of computer or its operating system. Additionally, have you tried another device like a tablet or phone? 

@ATTDSLCare @ATTHelpForums

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Same problem on mac, windows 10 and iOS.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

So ATT sent me a new Motorola gateway to replace the 2 prior pace ones and my internet is much better now. The gateway seemed to be the bottleneck. The orbi seems to work fine with the motorola.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 months ago

I know this is an old post so I'm hoping it gives you some type of notification, but I'm getting AT&T fiber and will be using an Orbi router. What settings do I have to do or step by step instructions do you have? I'm new to this type of stuff but I need the extra WiFi coverage and already have an Orbi.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Have an ORBI RBK20 and DSL, upgraded to fiber this weekend. Tech switched out the Pace 5268AC to the Arris BGW210. After reading a lot of forums, put the BGW210 in passthrough mode in firewall settings, selected the RBK (Orbi) device in the dropdown as the passthrough IP device. Turn off the WiFi in the BGW settings for both radios. Connected the Orbi to an ethernet port on the BGW. Set the Orbi to router mode. One pitfall - be SURE that you use the CAT5-E cable that came with the Orbi or an equivalent to connect to the BGW. I had been using an old cable from another router and couldn't get more that 90mbs speed and the Orbi kept dropping out. Once I switched the cable everything is solid and speed test in the Orbi app shows 700+mbps speeds now.