Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
skcrab0298's profile

2 Messages

Thursday, October 26th, 2023 8:16 PM

ONT power

I bought a mini-ups for our gateway and WAP but found that during power outages we do not have internet access.  The ONT is on the outside of the garage.  Upstairs in the bonus room is a distribution box for alarm, ethernet, coax, etc. There is an AT&T battery box adjacent.  It is plugged into an AC receptacle in the distribution box. I assume this sends 12v back out to the ONT.  We were told we do not need a battery here because that is for traditional phone backup, which we have never had.

Is this true, or do we need that battery?  Would it power the ONT in an outage?  If not, what is the best way to provide backup power to the ONT? Another mini UPS just for upstairs?

Former Employee

• 

22K Messages

4 months ago

If you have an outside ONT (210 or 240) then would have an inside power supply that would have a battery compartment. The intended use of the battery was to provide up to (4) hours of standby time for home voip (phone) service in the event of a power outage. ATT stopped providing batteries for this purpose in summer 2015, if anyone desire the ONT to function during a power outage will need to provide your own UPS with the ATT power supply plugged into your UPS. 

2 Messages

4 months ago

Thanks! Just ordered a mini for upstairs. 

Tutor

• 

17 Messages

3 months ago

Hello my thoughts,

After providing a power backup for the local gateway and ONT, where is the next AT&T fiber switch/router/repeater located that would require power? Is this in the Central Office for the area that supports FTTH distribution network or are there distribution boxes located in the neighborhood that requires power? I am more concerned about having internet connection during a neighborhood power outage versus just a single house outage so want to see if it is worth the investment.

Former Employee

• 

22K Messages

3 months ago

The local neighborhood connection is the PFP (passive) does not require power. It takes a main fiber connected to a prism which splits into individual light stream

The OLT would be at the Central Office (CO) requiring power but the CO has battery arrays and normally a diesel generator that can be heard a good distance away when running.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.