Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
chicagoal1's profile

5 Messages

Friday, April 12th, 2024 11:23 PM

New BGW 320 Gateway: Liftmaster/Chamberlain MyQ not compatible?!?

I set up the BGW320 that AT&T shipped to replace a flakey Arris today and it went amazingly well, copied over my same Wifi name and pw, and all the devices connected with no issues...except one.

The Chamberlain/Liftmaster MyQ gateway for our garage door opener consistently says it's offline.   

I finally got their tech support on the line and after some conversation was told that the BGW320 is not compatible with MyQ, that they've had several complaints about this, and that they are 'trying to figure it out.'

I am not real happy about this, of course.  The guy I was speaking to was clearly not a tech who could explain the problem to me, but maybe you can.  You might even have a solution!   If so it would need to be in baby talk as I can follow directions but am no tech whiz myself.

Thanks for any advice!

Accepted Solution

5 Messages

1 month ago

$15 ethernet switch (Netgear GS305) solved the problem, instantly connected.  Maybe I should let Chamberlain/Liftmaster CS know, as they apparently haven't figured it out themselves.   I'll look into setting up a mesh wi-fi system as the Arlo security system would benefit from a hub elsewhere in the house.  

5 Messages

1 month ago

In case the above is not 100% clear, I was on the phone with Chamberlain tech support, not AT&T.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

1 month ago

Login to the management console of the gateway, 192.168.1.254, temporarily disable the 5GHz radio under advanced setting of WiFi, and see if the device won’t pair correctly. 

I use MyQ as well but have a Netgear Orbi to carry wifi traffic because Att gateways have sooo many issues.  

5 Messages

1 month ago

It took a very long time for me to get the above posted as I could NOT get my old account here to work, after not being on the forum for 6 years.  Forum wouldn't accept the saved pw, wouldn't send me a pw reset email, so I had to start over.   Maybe they purged old forum accounts.   My old att.net backup email address seems to no longer exist--did they just purge those too?

Anyway, I will look at the console of the gateway tomorrow, I'm too irritated to do any more today.   Also, I ordered a cheap ethernet switch, which some older posts here suggest might work.   I might set up a router and just use the BGW320 as a passthrough but I'm in my 60s and am starting to think ahead to things I won't want to deal with a decade down the road: simpler is better.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

1 month ago

And ip passthrough is one of those things.  A good quality brand wifi system running in access point mode will make things easier for you all around.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

1 month ago

@chicagoal1 Your age doesn’t matter. I’m 62 and have no trouble setting things up. Long term it is simpler to use a mesh system. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.