Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
RRH770's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 2:18 PM

Mac Randomly Losing Internet Connection while connected to AT&T Wireless Router over AT&T Fiber.

Our household Mac will randomly lose connection with the internet (spinning beach ball followed by Server not found errors) despite being successfully connected to the AT&T provided router.   This started once we converted to AT&T Fiber and the Internet1000 service.

We have 3 other devices that can access the network with now problem.   The Mac will reconnect after a restart and work for a period of time before losing the internet again.  We have not identified a common cause or sequence that preceds the drop.   We are only using AT&T provided hardware.  We have had the Mac into an authorized Apple service center to ensure there are no hardware, software, or virus/malware issues and it is clean.

Are others having similar issues?   Is there a  known fix?

Thanks.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@RRH770

On your AT&T provided router/gateway, disable IPv6.

On your Mac, use Google DNS servers; 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

OK.  Any chance you can provide guidance on how to do the above?    I'm not sure what IPv6 is, or how to chose the DNS servers.   Thanks for the quick response.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

On your Mac, go to System Preferences and select Network. Then at the bottom right hand corner select Advanced. Now select the tab DNS and make changes like mine:

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 11.47.31 AM.JPG

Select OK and then on the next screen Apply. Done.

Using your web browser, to access your AT&T provided router/gateway make the change in the image below:

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 11.50.21 AM.JPG

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks.  I tried this.  Lets see.   attlocal.net is in the Search Gateway.   Do you recommend removing this to look like yours?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

" attlocal.net is in the Search Gateway" I have no idea of what you're looking at. 'attlocal.net' is used by AT&T as a domain name for IPv6. To answer your question, your screens should match mine.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Sorry....here is the screen shot that looks like yours.  I replaced the two DNS servers with Google.  Will monitor.

Monosnap 2017-01-03 11-44.jpg

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

I would select attlocal.net and then choose the "-" to remove. I see no reason to have.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Turns out that I'm not able to ????   The minus sign is grey.....   It also turns out that if I delete the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4., the original two IP addresses return...even though I removed them.   Or so I thought...

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Go to Network Settings again. Under the Proxies tab make sure nothing is selected. Under the TCP/IP tab make sure IPv4 is Using DHCP and DHCP Client ID is blank.

I have to assume that you have an AT&T 5268ac. Since you are on fiber, you need to give me the software version that is being used. That info can be found in the tab Settings/System Info/Status.

@ATTDSLCare 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

ApexRon any thoughts for me...

Two weeks ago I got AT&T Fiber with a Pace 5268AC Router and have had huge problems with consistent speed. I also have it connected to my Time Caspule. When it was initially set up I got WiFi speeds of 500+ up/down on the Pace 5268AC Router and the Time Caspule all via WiFi. The next day, and since then, the speeds are less than 70gMbps up and 40gMbps down and the Time Capsule is no longer able to connect to the internet. If I unplug and replug the router then I get fast speeds and the time capsule can hit the web but 20 mins later the speed plummets and the Time Capsule doest work. I have had 4 techs out, 2 new routers and the issue persists. On top of having slow speed for my computer my Smasung TV can no longer access HBOGo, Netflix or Amazon video. 

The techs have rarely dealt with any issues like this because fiber is new to my area. I need this solved asap. I work from home and this has taken up tons of time and countless hours. 

I have tried the the following to no avail...
Changed the setting "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to Disabled.
Changed the setting "Authentication Type" to WPA2-PSK (AES).
Disabled IPv6
Changed the Ethernet port configuration for each port on the Pace 5268AC Router from Auto detect to 100BaseT/Full Duplex.
Switched my DNS to 8.8.8.8 ( I don't know how to check if I retained the DHCP)

Ideally, I would like to have my Time Capsule be the only wireless signal and turn off the Pace Routers wireless signal. I have my TV, Sonos, Xbox and TimeCapsule hard wired to the Pace Router and would like that to stay as is.

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014) 
2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

Thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.