Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
BDaddy1969's profile

1 Message

Saturday, November 11th, 2023 8:14 PM

Looking for guidance/advice for swapping AT&T Pace Fiber Gatewat for BGW320-505

I have had a Pace Fiber Gateway for 5 or 6 years. Recently, it has started restarting at random times, so I called support and they recommended a new gateway. They have sent me a BGW320-505 fiber gateway.

On the Pace, i had DMZ+ mode configured so that my ASUS GT-AXE16000 would inherit my public WAN IP. All of my network devices (wired and wireless) connect to the ASUS wireless router. I left the wireless turned on on the Pace, but it changed the Pace IP to 172.16.0.1 so that my ASUS router can use the 192.168.1.1 address and 192.168.1.x subnet. 

Can I do the same with the BGW320-505? That way I don’t have to use an Ethernet cable when I need to connect to it.

I see with the BGW320-505 I have to configure IP Passthrough (instead of DMZ+ on Pace). Do I have to do a factory reset on my ASUS and possibly the BGW320-505 , or is this a recommended first step ?

With the Pace, I consistently get Speedtest results on both the Pace and my ASUS over 900MB Down and Up. I see a lot of posts where people seem to have trouble getting those kind of speeds when passing the WAN IP to their home router. Any suggestions on how to get similar speeds with the BGW320-505 are appreciated!

Final question - Is the BGW320-505 WiFi 6 (802.11ax) or WiFi 5 (802.11ac)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

4 months ago

Can I do the same with the BGW320-505? That way I don’t have to use an Ethernet cable when I need to connect to it.

Yes.  

I see with the BGW320-505 I have to configure IP Passthrough (instead of DMZ+ on Pace). Do I have to do a factory reset on my ASUS and possibly the BGW320-505 , or is this a recommended first step ?

I would not suggest a factory reset of the ASUS, but it does seem to be a good idea on the BGW devices.  You may need to cajole your router into re-requesting the public IP via DHCP from the BGW so that the BGW recognizes it as the proper user of that IP on the Ethernet.

With the Pace, I consistently get Speedtest results on both the Pace and my ASUS over 900MB Down and Up. I see a lot of posts where people seem to have trouble getting those kind of speeds when passing the WAN IP to their home router. Any suggestions on how to get similar speeds with the BGW320-505 are appreciated!

Different people have issues here for a variety of issues.  You should be able to get this to work, but Ethernet speed issues on the BGW320's is a thing, especially on the blue port.  Don't enable AT&T Internet Security.

Final question - Is the BGW320-505 WiFi 6 (802.11ax) or WiFi 5 (802.11ac)?

WiFi6, 802.11ax.  However, it seems to reserve its second Wi-Fi 5 GHz radio for use with extenders, which limits the simultaneous channels available.  If you have your own router, this shouldn't be a big issue.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

4 months ago

Rebooting the asus is all you should need to do for it to get the gateway ip address. Do this after setting the gateway to ip passthrough. I got around 600 up and down using the asus speedtest. I don’t worry that I don’t get close to the 1 gig I pay for. 300 is all we need but Att offered us $150 in gift cards and $20 off our internet to upgrade to 1 gig. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.