Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

• 

1 Message

Wed, Apr 8, 2020 8:06 PM

'Log Out' function on BGW210-700 router

As I have too much time on my hands right now, I decided to look at the administrative functions on my BGW210 router. After entering the URL printed on the side of the router, I was instantly put into the admin functions without having to enter a password. Despite being fairly ignorant about such things, I am concerned. Could anyone driving by my house enter the same URL and gain access to the admin functions on my router? Isn't there a way to log out and require the password to be entered before you gain access to the admin functions?

Responses

Transponder

ACE - Scholar

• 

441 Messages

2 months ago

Not really a problem. For someone else to gain access to the URL, you would have to give them the wifi password so they could connect to your network. As for you going to the URL on your network, yes you can do that. It is read only access. If you try to make a change, it will ask for the gateway password. When you are done making changes it is always a good idea to log out and close the browser when done.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
my thoughts

Employee

• 

15.3K Messages

2 months ago

A person would first have to have access to the gateway, either as a hardwired connection on one of the (4) yellow ethernet ports using a patch cable or on your wireless network that has both an SSID / password (yellow sticker) on side of gateway.

Additionally you can change the default information to a custom name and password of your choice.

Usually, in my experience, when people make changes they do so to make it easier to remember and provide that information (connection) to family and friends that visit thus lowering the ability to keep their settings safe. Enable the GUEST network if going to share with others.

To answer the question... if someone who has previously been connected to your network comes within the range of your wifi, such as in front of house... can they access the admin page... yes, but they already access to use your internet.

In desire, change your ssid and/or password whenever you want... just need to reprogram all your devices that are connecting including any smartphones, tablets, laptops, printers, tvs, game systems, etc do not forget any IOT devices that you have... depending on size of household this could be a few or many.

Look again at the admin page, bottom of main page shows all devices connected and how... have seen some with 40+ devices

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.