Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
david_df's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, April 9th, 2017 12:35 PM

Lan connection being dropped from laptop Ethernet port and switches to wifi automatically.

Greeting to anyone reading this post. The problems, as stated in the subject line, just occurs when I run a speed test or when I watch a video on youtube, and the video changes to a higher resolution. I have the Pace 5268ac modem for the gigapower service. In the back of the modem the Lan port connected to the Ethernet port on the laptop is blinking red. I have a desktop connected to the same modem, but the Lan port instead of being red as it is for the laptop is green. If anyone has find a solution to this please help me solve this problem. A little of more information, I have even played some online gaming while on an ethernet cable with no issues of the connection dropping. To fix it every time I go to the connection setting a run a diagnostic to reset the ethernet adapter. Hope this information helps in finding a solution if there is not one yet. Thank you for your time.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@david_df

There maybe a setting or cable issue. Turn off auto-negotiate on 5268ac and laptop, making each 100baseT and full duplex. If that doesn't fix then Move your laptop Ethernet cable to a different modem port. If that port blinks red too, replace the cable.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

@ApexRon

Thank you for the reply. It does seem to fix it. The light becomes green on the modem, and the laptop has not lost connection through the ethernet adapter ; however, there is a drop in internet speed. Is there anyway to fix it without sacrificing internet speed? Also, do you know what would be the best adapter settings for this type of modem and internet service? Thanks again.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

The light becomes green on the modem, and the laptop has not lost connection through the ethernet adapter ; however, there is a drop in internet speed. Is there anyway to fix it without sacrificing internet speed? Also, do you know what would be the best adapter settings for this type of modem and internet service? Thanks again.

The only thing that could improve your internet speed would be to disable IPv6 on the Settings/LAN/IPv6 page. AT&T's IPv6 implementation can cause excessive, unnecessary traffic on your home network. Consider disabling on your laptop as well. Other than that, I have not found any other tuning/configuration that would improve internet speed. Monitor the Settings/Broadband/Status page for excessive errors.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.