Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
internetghost's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, May 3rd, 2017 9:16 PM

Just got Gigapower installed, not breaking 100Mbs download speed?

Was installed yesterday May 2nd. Noticed last night when I got home that my computer wouldn't get above 70Mbs. Immediately called and the phone technician did some basic gateway rebooting and scheduled a tech appointment.

Tech came out today and immediately got my hackles raised because he made a comment that us changing the wireless name and password could cause it. But he proceeded to do a bunch of testing (I assume as he went back and forth from his truck a lot) and finally had me run the old PC Maintenance Tool Box.

It came back saying I have issues like "Recycle Bin too large" and "Delete Internet Explorer cache". I rolled my eyes but went along with it and even promised to bring home my brand new computer from work to test because my laptop I keep at home is several years old.

But I'm doing some research and I know processor speed can make a difference in what speed you receive through your network but I have a 2.4Ghz i5 and as far as I know that should support a few hundred Mbs at least. Now my new work computer is an i7 with 2.6Ghz so theoretically it should support even more.

I also researched my work computer's network card (Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM and Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260) and as far as I can tell it can support 1000mbs (867mbs in the case of the wireless).

Now I'm not delusional, I work in IT. I know on Wifi with a gateway provided by AT&T I am not going to get the full 1000Mbs service. But I should be at least seeing roughly 60-70% of the speed wirelessly but right now I'm not even seeing 10%. But the bulk of my experience is server support and networking is definitely something I don't know a ton about.

He gave me the number of his manager and I plan to call tonight but I just want to know if anyone else has made any progress with the same issue and what can I do to help my odds here.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Found the issue. My older computer's network card doesn't support a 5 Ghz signal. Newer computer does and connected to 5 Ghz WiFi averages around 400ish Mbs and over 900Mbs when hardwired.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.