MrD500's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, February 13th, 2017 11:23 AM

Closed

Is At&t 18 mbps internet any good?

Hello all,

Is this internet reliable?  Do any of you ever have outages?  Would I have to ever mess with the gateway router or is it always on?  Would I be able to stream netflix without any problems?  I currently have Comcast internet that is fast and very reliable but it costs too much.  I'm not sure how fast the 18 mbps is.  

Thanks for any help.

Ara

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My AT&T internet speed of 24 Mbps (Speed Test showed 29 Mbps download / 1.9 Mbps Upload and 5 ms Response so good numbers but not always), did not work for me. It did a year ago, but here a year later (Feb 2018) I get a lot of dropouts. My wife can no longer work from home and must drive 1 hour to the office to work. Amazon Firestick was very choppy if it worked at all. There are times we have no problems but with no other computers on just my wife work laptop, she still had issues. We have Directv so I was not streaming or on the internet, at the time s she was having issues trying to work with her company VPN. A switch to Comcast 100 Mbps and all is just flying now. (Comcast Speed Test showed 144 Mbps download / 31 Mbps Upload and 15 ms Response). So the response it a little slower but speed has made all the difference here 1 week later. AT&T fix was to send a tech out to try and increase my speed from 24 too 25 Mbps with a new 2-year contract for doing that. I said no to that.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Many years later, this 18mpbs is STILL  the ONLY AT&T internet connectivity I can get in my suburban residential neighborhood.  How is it holding up against Spectrum, WOWWay, and other 100mpbs to 1 gigabyte offerings?

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Is it good with gaming?

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Honestly, I am not happy with Spectrum, but I am not paying (or going to save $15) to go from 100 MBPS and drop down to 18 MBPS, I just ran a speed test on my phone, and it was 68.3 for up and 11.8 for download. Spectrum may not be reliable, especially at peak times, like it is right now, and goes out, but this speed AT&T is offering is way!!!!!! to slow. I could not even work from home. My company requires no less than 50 mbps to work from home. Plus the eq. fee. Come on, try to stay competitive. Even with the $5 discount, I would not pay $60 for 18 MBPS, I only pay Spectrum $79 a month, that is with wifi service, I would hate to see what the router (wifi) is with this!!!! Probably the same same after taxes, for such slower speed. I love my cell phone service, but I think after researching, I will stick with Spectrum. Unless fiber comes into my area. Then depending on how the mbps are and the price, I will look again. 

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

So let me see if I've got this straight....

You created a new account here today.

You sought out a thread that's over 4 years old so you could post that:

1. You're a happy Spectrum customer.
  2. You don't want to downgrade speed by changing to AT&T, which costs more.
  3. You aren't switching to AT&T.

If all that summarizes your post correctly, I'm having a really difficult time figuring out why you're here!  Do you routinely go on the support forum for companies that you don't have service with and tell them this sort of thing?

ACE - Expert

• 

31.9K Messages

2 years ago

@Darqprincess 

You've posted to a thread from 2017 about you don't want to switch from your current carrier and downgrade your internet. For what possible reason did you have the need to create an account to say that? Might as well driven 100 miles to a store to walk in and tell them you (as a non-customer) don't plan to ever shop at their store.

Outdated thread - CLOSED.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.