Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
drbobbyk's profile

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

Tuesday, December 26th, 2017 4:28 PM

IPv6 tunnel with Hurricane Electric

Hi!

Do any of you all out there run an IPv6 tunnel with HE and your own linux router?

I use my own CentOS linux router and have put my Arris BGW210 modem in cascade mode.

The tunnel works, sorta.  Over IPv6, I see very high packet delays on order of 750ms ping6 time to the other side of my tunnel endpoint.

If I ping IPv4 the other side of the tunnel endpoint, I see 30-40 ms delay over IPv4.

If I traceroute to the IPv4 of the other side of my tunnel, setting PROTO=41 (IPv6 encapsulation), I also see 30-40ms delay. 

In theory, these observations point to the delay being my router but I can't be exactly sure.

When I was connected to charter using an older linux  box, my HE IPv6 tunnel worked fine.  When I switched to AT&T/fiber, I built a new linux router.  Major difference is that my new router has a non-routable IPv4 subnet to the modem.  I'm not sure if this is relevant.

Any suggestions as to configurations or how to determine if AT&T is the delay?

Thanks,

Bobby

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

6 years ago

Hi!

I placed a port-mirroring switch between my centos/linux router and my AT&T modem and was able to observe the tunnel traffic.

I have been able to conclude that the delay is NOT caused by my centos router box but instead its caused by either the modem or the AT&T backbone.  (I'm betting its the BGW210 modem.)

The reason I can conclude its not my centos box, is that ICMPv6 pings to/from the tunnel endpoint are showing 750 ms delay on the wire.  If the delay was caused by my centos router, I would see a much smaller delay on the wire.

I'm not sure why the modem would be introducing a large delay like this.

Bobby

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

6 years ago

Hi!

I switched from the ARRIS BGW210 to a Pace 5268AC modem today to try and see if this fixed the large IPv6 tunnel delay.

Switching to the Pace modem solved my problem.  I know have my Hurricane Electric (HE) IPv6 tunnel working with no appreciable delay.

Bobby

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I just switched from Charter to UVerse less than a month ago and cannot get my Hurricane Electric tunnel working on my BGW210-700 I assume for the same reason as you. I've kept my Charter connection up just for the tunnel connection, but I want to shut that connection down. What is the best way for me to switch to the Pace 5268AC in a supported way? Do I contact ATT and ask for this or do I just buy one off Ebay and plug it in? Thanks for any help you can provide me with!

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

6 years ago

Hi!

Yes, its definitely the BGW210.  I did all kinds of measurements, observations (I used a switch with promiscuous port), etc. and determined its the dreaded BGW210.

Switching to the Pace 5268AC did the trick.  Setup was pretty straightforward; its not really well documented but I have a cascade subnet of /27 and use my own Linux/CentOS firewall/router.  The switch was surprisingly simple.  I did have to pay for a service call, however, because AT&T claimed that there was nothing *technically* wrong with their setup.  Unfortunately, you have to use their device.  In theory, I should have been able to just connect my router directly to the fiber converter but that didnt/wont work.

Let me know what your setup is and I can comment more on the Pace setup.  I can even post screen snapshots of relevant Pace setup/admin pages if you need.

Bobby

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

6 years ago

Hi!

To clarify, yes, you have to contact AT&T and get them to make a service/house call -- $100 since nothing is technically broken.  You tell them that you need a Pace modem/gateway thingy.  They in theory will put it in the ticket.  When the service guy calls you prior to visiting, emphasize to him/her that you want a Pace modem and not any of the others.  He/she will then be able to go get one if they don't have one on the truck or they will re-schedule and go get one.  But, you have to go through AT&T (the Death Star!)

Bobby

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Great, thanks for your help! I actually had a similar issue with Charter. The modem they gave me didn't allow inbound pings and there was nothing you could do about it so I had to get a different modem, which worked. Too bad ATT can't provide an update to the OS on the router to resolve the issue but I'm sure there are only a few of us who care about this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.