Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
miilkiy's profile

7 Messages

Monday, May 6th, 2024 4:28 PM

Internet speeds coming out of modem are much lower than speeds coming in.

I know that I will not be getting all 1 GIG of the fiber that I pay for, while I do get the 800-900 mbps for my download speeds, I only get around 110-130 mbps for my upload. I have rebooted my modem as well as restarting my PC several times to try and resolve the issue. I am using a direct ethernet line from my pc to the modem and I have previously gotten the 800-900 mbps upload speeds before. I'm not sure if this is due to ATT throttling my internet speeds or if there is something else going on that I should fix. I am the only one on the internet and I am the only ethernet device connected. And like I said, the upload speeds WERE at the original 800-900 mbps but a few days ago I noticed that they had gone down to 110-130 and I cannot seem to find the root of the cause. I have attatched an image below displaying my issue as well as my speeds.

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

Have you tested the Speeds on the AT&T Gateway using the Diagnostics page?

Start on the AT&T default Gateway page: http;//192.168.1.254 and select the Diagnostics Tab on the Blue header and then Select the Light blue Speed test. This will indicate the connection speed to and from your AT&T Gateway to the AT&T Fiber network.

Another question have you tried a different test server? You are currently using Windstream in Lexington, Ky. Just Click on the Blue "Change Server" link and choose another available Server.

Dave

7 Messages

1 month ago

I have tested the AT&T Gateway several times, it shows that I am getting 999 down and 970 up. I have done it through my pc on the online site as well as on my phone through the connection app, I'm not sure if it is something with the modem or if it is something that I could fix through some changes but I have not found anything yet. I have tried several servers, ones both further and closer to me and It's the same result, I could get anywhere from 700-900 download depending on the server maybe less, but the upload would never go above 130, sometimes even dropping below 100. As it shows that my gateway is receiving the speeds, im not sure if it is something to do with the modem it self or maybe something between the modem and my PC? Thank you for the advice, I'm not sure what to do next.

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

AT&T Gateway is fine. We need to know more about your PCs Ethernet controller card. AT&T does not throttle your Internet speeds.

Dave

7 Messages

1 month ago

What other things would you need to know about my PCs ethernet controller card? The current motherboard I have is the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING. It is a gaming motherboard that supports speeds up to 2.5 GIG through ethernet. The built in Ethernet controller card that it has is the "Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V". I have nothing that I could find in my system that would take up any speed as I'd like to think I know a few things about technology. I have combed through all of the settings and differnet things, both through the AT&T reccomendations and settings, as well as the PCs network settings. Nothing I have done has made the speed any better, I've looked for anything that could be the root of the issue and I cannot seem to find anything. If there is anything else specific that you need or other info that you need just let me know and I am more and happy to provide it as I'd like to get this issue resolved. Thank you.

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

@miilkiy are you using a BGW320 and are your using a Yellow Ethernet port on the back of the BGW320?

If you have a BGW210-700 you can use any of the 4 Ethernet ports as they are the same speed. What OS are you running on your PC, Windows 10 or 11?

Have you used any of the Microsoft turning commands as it really looks you may have some TCP/IP setting set for an asynchronous connection vs symmetrical speed connection.

Start with a Cmd Prompt to open a DOS Command window and type: netsh int tcp show global

Post the results here on the Forum.

Reset the autotuning to default for now: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Run a Speed test and see if your results have improved for the upload.

ETA: show your TCP and added a command to reset to the default "autotuninglevel to the default.

Dave

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

1 month ago

I’d also confirm BIOS and all drivers are up to date to rule out any of those possibilities.   There isn’t any magic involved doing speed test over wired Ethernet connection to a BGW with the notable exception of the blue port on the 320 model which some have noted to have problems.   

7 Messages

1 month ago

Yes I am currently using the BGW320-505, I am currently plugged into the first ethernet port, I will try another port to see if that may be the issue but I doubt it. I am currently using WIndows 10 on my computer, I have made some changes to my settings on my computer to fix and change some of the worse ethernet settings that they have on here. TCP Global Parameters
----------------------------------------------
Receive-Side Scaling State          : enabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level    : normal
Add-On Congestion Control Provider  : default
ECN Capability                      : disabled
RFC 1323 Timestamps                 : disabled
Initial RTO                         : 2000
Receive Segment Coalescing State    : disabled
Non Sack Rtt Resiliency             : disabled
Max SYN Retransmissions             : 2
Fast Open                           : enabled
Fast Open Fallback                  : enabled
HyStart                             : enabled
Proportional Rate Reduction         : enabled
Pacing Profile                      : off

Here are the current settings I have when using that command, I will reset the tuning level now too and see if there is any change. 

I made the change and there was no difference in my upload speeds. I will try to check my bios for anything that might be at play here. I have already checked my drivers as well and they all seem to be up to date. I also tried swapping ports and nothing has changed either. I am not sure what else I could do but if you have any ideas that would be greatly appreciated. 

15 Messages

1 month ago

So... not just me then huh.  I'm having same issue with a B450Max Gaming motherboard.  On WiFi my games run smooth, but as soon as I connect the ethernet cable everything is unplayable.

Going to speedtest website, it shows 300+Mbps but doing the speed test through ATT's site, it shows under 20Mbps and that the same router to ATT's connection is a whopping 1.3Gbps Down AND Up.

I'm thoroughly confused as to what the issue is, other than doing a complete wipe of Win10 and doing a clean install.

7 Messages

1 month ago

I'm not sure, the issue that I was having is still going on. The speeds are reaching the modem just fine, but when it comes to output there seems to be some sort of an issue. I have tried multiple different ports on the modem, none of them give me any change of speeds what so ever. I am not sure why the modem can handle the 1 GIG download but not the 1 GIG upload. I had been getting those speeds before but within it seems the first week of having the internet, the speeds dropped. I am not sure as to why, but I have exhausted every option that was suggested to me and I am not sure what the next step would be to try. I just need AT&T to look into this with me to see if there is any issue that they can see on their side at all. @ATTHelp 

(edited)

7 Messages

1 month ago

Okay, after a lot of testing it seems that something is capping my internet speeds. I am not sure what it could be, whether a random setting on the modem itself or something on my computer. I have tried so many different settings and tweaks and tried to find the issue but I cannot. If there is anything that you guys could recommend that would be great. I am just consistently getting 120 mbps upload speeds while my download stays around the same. I am not sure why it has "capped" itself or something, but I cannot seem to find any setting even close to uncapping or raising my upload speeds at all. @ATTHelp any ideas?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.