Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
D

• 

2 Messages

Monday, September 21st, 2020 12:26 PM

Internet keeps dropping

Devesh times a day, the internet connection is lost for a few seconds. I have to disconnect and reconnect my wifi connection on my phone or computers if I want to connect immediately. Or wait a couple of minutes for everything to get back to normal. Very irritating, especially because I am working a lot from home. I have the to most 1gig fiber service! Anyone face this ? What's the fix? 

jma1795

• 

17 Messages

5 months ago

Have had 2 more techs out to the house now, and they confirm after I showed them the logs of 30 disconnects by noon today that they will relocate what port we are connected to. Hopefully we will hear more soon.

0TacocaT0

• 

30 Messages

5 months ago

They moved me to another port yesterday, it didn't solve the issue.  Fingers crossed for you.  

jma1795

• 

17 Messages

5 months ago

I have no faith that it will. I suspect at this point beyond the terrible router they force you to use the infrastructure in my area is just so old (keeping in mind we're running on old phone party lines) and that's more likely the cause

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.6K Messages

5 months ago

@jma1795   You have fiber, there's no old (copper/party lines) infrastructure to be involved so that can't be the cause.  Now, maybe there's an issue with the new infrastructure......😁

The port/terminal are good places to look so hopefully they find that and get your connected settled down.

jma1795

• 

17 Messages

5 months ago

@tonydi I don't have fiber unfortunately - I really really wish I did. At least the internet might be fast. The hole town is still running on old phone likes from the 90's (according to the tech we spoke to) and our internet speeds are limited to 10mb because even at that people in town crash regularly. Most people just use their phones because the 4G we get around here is about the same speed but much more stable - minus the data cap which I found today.

0TacocaT0

• 

30 Messages

5 months ago

Since there are so many threads of people from all over the country, reporting the same type of issue, I suspect some type of setting that they have applied at the router level or something on the backend with ATT.  There are several things that it could be, just takes time for them to issolate it.    At least it sounds like you're past "replace the gateway stage".

IMO it looks like errors on the line.  I see my two networks, as well as other networks in the area.  The only network that drops to -0dbm and disappears is my gateway.   To me that means that there were enough errors on the line to cause the wifi to "blink out" and reset.  It happens fast. 

In the old days, it be exposed copper.   In the ADSL days it be you and your neighbor being on sequential channels.

Fingers crossed that the port change solves your issue.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

9.6K Messages

5 months ago

@jma1795   Ahh, ok, I presumed as much because you're posting in the fiber forum on a thread about fiber issues.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

5 months ago

@jma1795  FTR, I was getting 30+ Mbps on copper lines installed in the mid 80's, and was eligible to upgrade to at least 75 Mbps before fiber got here.  Your lines are probably just too long not necessarily too old.  Also, the major thing I notice about being fiber is the lower latency on pings.

@0TacocaT0 , I think there are ripples of where AT&T has underestimated the increased traffic all their new fiber users are creating on some circuits.  All those gigabit speed tests are eating up the bandwidth.  Once they [finally] identify the issue, they have to expand the capacity to fix the situation.  In many cases, it's a peering connection that's getting overloaded, and that means rethinking their agreement with their peering partner which means bean counters and lawyers get involved.  

0TacocaT0

• 

30 Messages

5 months ago

It's frustrating. This on-going issue is stressing me a lot more than it should.  Six weeks ago, everything was perfect. Now adays, not so much.  

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

Greeting All!  Why am I not surprised to hear from many of you with the exact same issues I'm encountering.  And, it has been like this since we bought our home (3500 sq ft) and had fiber internet and streaming boxes installed this year January 2022. 

Yes, I've had replacement streaming boxes, replacement BGW210-700 and extenders. 

Technicians have been here to look for weak signals throughout our 2 floor home, one tech came in and sold me my 3rd AT&T extender and since that didn't solve the problem I called for another tech that came in and said didn't need the 3rd extender because it was giving the system mixed signals(?).

I haven't noticed any word about possibly replacing the BGW210-700 router with something other than an AT&T product?  Any thoughts? 

Need Help! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.