Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
A

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 16th, 2020 9:46 PM

I have the old ARRIS NVG589 gateway. I want to upgrade, but cannot contact anyone in ATT support.

I'd like to upgrade my gateway to something newer to support more wifi or internet filtering.   I have tried to contact ATT customer support, but both the phone and chat are just robots that will not connect to a person.    It really is awful support,  its so bad.    It really runs you in circles.   Any suggestions as my other options in area are limited. ? Spectrum?   Anyone upgrade their own gateway?   

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

4 years ago

What speed tier are you subscribed to?

The 589 is a very capable gateway on the lower speed tiers as your bandwidth is limited.

IF you have internet 45 or greater, suggests upgrading to a dual band gateway such as 599, 5268 or 210-700. All support 2.4Ghz b/g/n wireless and 5Ghz n/ac.

Note that the 5GHz supports the faster speeds but at about half the distance requiring private purchase of wifi extender(s) or mesh system.

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have Internet 1000.   I'd like to upgrade to something that supports 5Ghz.  My extender support 5Ghz n/ac but its not wired.    The 589 seems to support at most 8 2.4 ghz wifi connections,  and it's an issue sometimes.    I just need to find the magic path thru customer services prompts :).

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

4 years ago

How long have you had internet 1000?

The 589 was the go to fiber gateway from 2013 to summer 2015 when the 599 / 5268 were released.

I do know of some fiber accounts who prefer the 589, but they are using their own equipment behind the gateway for wifi devices, not using the 589 2.4Ghz  wifi.

However calling 800.288.2020 reporting intermittent service with wifi should provide a path to have a different unit shipped... odds are either the 210 or the 5268.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.