Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
zaspainh's profile

3 Messages

Wednesday, October 18th, 2023 7:20 PM

I can’t get faster than 2-3 Mbps on my Deco S4 Mesh Router with ATT Fiber BGW320. What gives?

Hey all. First post here.

I just moved and in my new home, I have ATT Fiber 500 Mbps, with the BGW320 router/modem.

I’ve also got the Deco S4 mesh system. I used this same system at my previous home, which had the identical ATT modem model/Fiber service (except it was 1Gbps there). The mesh system worked perfectly without any problems, I got fantastic speeds and the only “technical” thing I did in my prior home was turn off the internal WiFi in the ATT router. Never changed any other settings in the router login portal/deco app.

However, at my new home, I cannot even get a usable speed sitting right next to the base Deco that plugs into the BGW320. It’s anywhere from 0.15-3 Mbps max down, and I feel like I’ve tried everything I know of:

-I confirmed I have a CAT6 cable going from the BGW320’s 5Gbps Ethernet port -> base Deco

-Tried different Ethernet cables

-Tried different Ethernet ports (both on the modem and Deco)

-Enabled passthrough to the MAC address of the Deco via the ATT modem settings page (192... etc login)

-Turned off ATT device’s internal WiFi… whether it’s on or off, the slow speed result is the same.

-Confirmed it’s not my internet - I get 400-600 Mbps on the speedtest if I use the integrated ATT router sitting next to it (it just doesn’t reach well to my entire home, hence wanting to use the mesh system). And no, it's not an issue of trying different servers on speedtest.net, web pages take eons to load on a computer or mobile phone when connecting to the Deco.

-Hard reset both devices multiple times (holding pen in pinhole for 15 seconds)

-Started over entire Deco setup process from scratch 4-5ctimes now, creating a fresh network each time, always selectic Dynamic IP, even uninstalled/reinstalled the app from my phone

-Tried all app settings suggestions from this page via deco forums

I feel like I don’t know what else to try. Any suggestions? It worked fantastic just a week ago in, theoretically, the identical equipment/ISP configuration, without any kind of advanced tweaking necessary. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated, I’m at my wits end.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

3 Messages

8 months ago

@browndk26 - thanks for your help. Wanted to make sure I followed up and mentioned changing the Deco I was using as my main unit fixed the problem, along with one final factory reset of both my ATT BGW320 and the Deco units, in case anyone ever comes across this thread in the future.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.9K Messages

8 months ago

Disconnect the deco from the gateway. Factory reset the gateway, factory reset the deco units. Start the setup of the Deco again. If you still experience slow speeds, contact deco support.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.9K Messages

8 months ago

You set up ip passthrough like this?

http://www.devonstephens.com/how-to-enable-ip-passthrough-on-att-bgw320-505/

restarted the deco after setting up ip passthrough?

Does the deco have a wan port? Set up as router or access point?

3 Messages

8 months ago

Hey browndk26, thank you for the response. Yes, that is how I’ve set up passthrough, and yes, I’ve reset the Deco unit after doing so. Have tried this many times. Unsure what you mean by WAN port. It has 2 Ethernet ports on the back, setup in app says either one can be connected to the modem, and I’ve tried both, if that’s what you mean. I do not recall an option to delineate between router and access point in setup. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.