Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
S
spectacularfogocean

• 

15 Messages

Sun, Aug 9, 2020 7:45 PM

How to get the NEW AT&T BGW320-500 Wifi 6 Router!

I am excited about the new WiFI 6 router BGW320-500  for AT&T fiber customers!  I called to request it but they sent me the old BGW210.  How can I get the NEW BGW320-500?

https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1395833/

Responses

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

WiFi6 will be a game changer but unless you have a device that has WiFi6, having a router won't speed anything up for you. Only a handful of PC's and mobile phones are using WiFi 6 at the moment. I think you are better off connecting your own WiFi Router to the BGW210 with a CAT6 or CAT 7 cable. I'm pushing 200Mbps + on my old wireless devices through a TPLink AC3200 router.

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

Just got one in a suburb of Austin, TX, after placing my second service call about poor speeds (they used to be great, and I don't know when they stopped being great, but I pay for 1G and was only getting 800/250). 

The first call landed me a new-to-me BGW210, which didn't really help.  On the second call the service technician came out and told me my entire setup is obsolete (ONT on the outside of the house, power supply in the garage, etc. etc.)  He had to drill a new hole in the wall of my house and run fiber directly to the BGW320, which I had no idea I was getting.  

So far, it's really nice, and it sure did fix my problem (finally speedtesting over 900/900 again).  The WiFi is actually nice in it, and there's a USB port on the back so I may be able to use my external drive, but we'll see. 

My tech told me I have the most advanced setup in my entire neighborhood now, and that they're just doing these for new installs.  

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

I have a friend living in Tallahassee and bought a Lennar home new construction. There's an AT&T rep in his place right now installing fiber with this new BGW320-500 so I know it exists in FL. I wonder if they have them in South FL 

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

I see that OP is in LA area - I am as well and just got my fiber installed yesterday and I got the 320. The tech said it was the first one they had seen, so it appears that this area is now getting them as well. Not sure if you will be able to request one or not, but just wanted to share. 

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

Can you just buy the same exact hardware externally from AT&T?

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

My parents just got the 320 today for a new install in Jacksonville, FL. I didn't even realize they had a new modem when I called to get our 3 year old model replaced last Friday and was sent a 210 model. We have phones and a laptop that have wifi 6, so I would like to try the 320.

(edited)

texgeekboy

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

a month ago

I live in a suburb of north Houston.  A friend of mine had a new fiber install, and he said how fast his wifi was.  I asked him what his gateway was, and he said the 320.  I called up ATT and asked them to send me one for self install.  They sent a 210.  I called again, and the guy said 320s were only being installed by techs.  He sent a tech to my place with a 320, but I installed it (covid issues).  It really is awesome in comparison to the 210.  Faster and more powerful wifi for sure.  The back of it has a 5 Gig ethernet output port, so good things are coming.

• 

15 Messages

a month ago

Pretty much everyone here was wrong.  They are widely deployed and I got mine by asking for an installer to come out.

One thing to keep in mind is you are limited by the length of your fiber so you can’t place it as easily as the BGW210.  Mine is in my network rack so it wasn’t a problem fir me.  Good luck!

(edited)

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

a month ago

Pretty much no one here was wrong.

When we talked about the limited availability of the BGW320 that was MONTHS ago and it was true then.  As indicated at that time, there was a small list of areas where it was being rolled out first.  Three months later and it's in general release although AT&T is saying they're primarily for new installations.

And it's not true that you're limited by the length of the existing fiber.  For one thing, it's possible to install it right where the BGW210 or Pace was because the BGW320 can use an existing ONT.  But for those installations where AT&T removes the ONT, they install a small box where your ONT was and then run fiber from that box to the gateway.

• 

1 Message

14 days ago

Hi,

How is the BGW320 working for you after a few months?

texgeekboy

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

12 days ago

The BGW320 has been great.  Very stable, great wifi coverage.  It is on the second floor, kinda in the middle of the house, and virtually no area of the house has poor signal.  I haven't bought any extenders because I haven't seen the need to.  The house is only about 2800 SF, so each floor is about 1400.  I had my son and daughter-in-law in for a week and they connected many wifi devices to it so they could work from home.  Nothing seemed to slow down.  My connection is 1 Gb fiber.  My only problem is that my aging laptops don't have wifi6 so I can't get to AX speeds (one doesn't even have AC).  I'm going to install new network cards in both of them, the first one will be tomorrow.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

8 days ago

Complained about slow speeds especially when connecting to Roku where it would stop shows many times due to disconnects and slow download speeds. Have Internet Basic 6 service.  Am getting the BGW320 as a replacement to NVG589.

Will hopefully fix the issues.

my thoughts

Employee

• 

16.5K Messages

8 days ago

@hresolution installs a BGW320 is not going to make internet 6/.6 any faster... if that is the best speed available at your address may want to consider a different ISP option. A single Netflix stream in HD needs about 5.5 out of your 6 or 95% of bandwidth for a single device to do a single thing. 

You would be better off hardwiring (ethernet) from the 589 to the ROKU. Personally I would be surprised if a tech actual would install a 320 for Basic 6 internet, expect the 210... dual band gateway that can support internet 1000 with (4) T100/T1000 ethernet ports. BTY so can the 589 support T1000 ethernet ports only has 2.4 GHz b/g/n wifi which is more than enough with plenty to spare for best speed of 6.

Just my thoughts...

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

2 Messages

8 days ago

Thanks, will see. If I were living here longterm I'd go the direct ethernet route. May have to get faster speed if becomes a problem. 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

8 days ago

Like many on here I work from home, but I'm also an IT pro whose work requires speed and reliability with an ISP.  The BGW210 is not a spring chicken.  Its technology is aging and a refresh is warranted.  I've tried everything including offering to buy an ATT tech support agent a Thanksgiving turkey for a 320 with no luck.  I was told today...again...the 320 has not been GA'd and is only available in certain areas.

I asked today what the upgrade process is and received no answer.  If it weren't for some of the disconnect horror stories I read I'd consider bypassing the RG.

Get started...

Ask a new question