Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Vadedjs's profile

32 Messages

Wednesday, December 27th, 2023 5:56 AM

High ping and lagging on 1G fiber

I’ve only had ATT fiber for only 3ish months now. Up until a month ago everything was good. For whatever reason I now have issues with extremely high upload speed ping and can’t play any games on Ethernet connected devices. Discord voices lag. And I have constant issues. My ping is testing over 400ms at times on waveform bufferbloat tests. And I’ve called tech support 5 times now and all I’ve gotten is a new gateway which helped with nothing. I’ve tested multiple Ethernet wires from CAT5e to CAT8. Tried only having one device connected. Etc etc etc. Probably spent 5 hours at least on tech support for them to do nothing in the end but tell my to buy 2gig fiber. I got rid of spectrum because of all the issues I had with the 500mbps non fiber internet. Now all I have are issues with fiber. And they want $100 to have a tech come out because tests on their end are “fine”. This is worse than spectrum at this point. At least they would send a tech out when I had issues. 

32 Messages

4 months ago

I'm also not sure if you noticed the same, but a month or so ago my speed tests would all connect to ATT servers. That's no longer an option at all. I'm connecting to Spectrum, elite fiber, contabo, i3, vzb, and missouricom. I feel like this has something to do with ATT servers just disappearing all together...

26 Messages

4 months ago

@Vadedjs I started at 1GB then went to 5GB, then to 2GB, and now back down to 1GB. Nothing changed. Still the same exact issue. I also had Spectrum for a long time and dealt with their garbage Internet service while I wanted for ATT Fiber to become available in my area. Spectrum set a very low bar and ATT has gone even lower. I didn't believe that ATT could actually be worse than Spectrum but they are. i3 Fiber is supposed to be available at my house within the next month. I'm hoping they will be better. I am glad I found this thread. I can show the tech tomorrow when he comes out that there are multiple people having the same exact issue as me.

Edit: @Vadedjs Yup I noticed the same thing. No more ATT server listed on the speedtest. Just gone.

(edited)

32 Messages

4 months ago

Do you have the link for the i3 info? I'm in St. Charles. Not sure where you are exactly but if it's supposedly better I'd like to have that in the back pocket as well. Because I agree. This is absolutely insane how poor this service is. I'm getting scammed. I think my aol dial up back in the day worked better than this does at this point...haha

7 Messages

4 months ago

@Grignak and everyone else - if you get a tech to come out and FINDS SOMETHING - make sure to share it with everyone so we can attempt the resolution on our own issues. This is likely something stupid simple and it's being overlooked as a "not todays problem" type of complaint.
Verbose details, wide-spread complaints and squeaky wheel will get this handled.

• 

37 Messages

4 months ago

City of St Charles government site has a map of recent fibre installations in the area...it "appears" to be a very limited coverage area...

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

4 months ago

If you just want to vent fine.

If you want to discuss prohibited subjects, not fine, and those posts aren't going to stay... and the thread could get closed.

If you want to pursue a technical solution, I need people in the same geographic areas to provide the PingPlotters and traceroutes that demonstrate the problems.  I would advise any of you outside the St Louis, MO area to start your own thread (or join the new one created by someone else) for your area.

I'm fairly sure we're dealing with increased utilization due to fiber deployment outstripping the capacity of the backbones in some areas, in some cases its the peering infrastructure, in others it's just AT&Ts core.  We can shine a light on it, and get focused attention on it.  I can get the tickets referred a little beyond the people who follow flowcharts. 

But pontificating isn't doing any of that.  If each of you in an area creates an FCC complaint (or BBB complaint), the they'll start stacking up in the support escalation and then maybe it will get recognized that way as well.  However, once you create such a complaint, the social media team is likely to go hands off of your account until the complaint is resolved.

• 

37 Messages

4 months ago

Just for reference, a PingPlotter example from this morning when there is less congestion (I assume) and speed/throughput are back to the advertised rate:

26 Messages

4 months ago

@JefferMC So I guess the fact that I've been dealing with this for months and provided pingplotters and traceroutes to ATT support makes it ok that they have gone "hands off" on my problem already? I would lose my job if I told one of my customers, "Hey you go purchase some software out of your own pocket and troubleshoot your own issue. When you think you find a problem send it to me and maybe someone will look at it". We have multiple people here with the SAME EXACT ISSUE!. None of us even know each other so it's not like it's some coordinated effort to bring down ATT. You would think someone would take notice and actually look at the problem.

26 Messages

4 months ago

Unfortunately I built a new computer last month and I don't have all my pingplotter captures. I was lucky and found one from months ago that I sent to an ATT tech that came out here. I figured I didn't need to keep them because I already gave them to ATT support and they did nothing.

26 Messages

4 months ago

This is almost every single night at the same exact time. Starts ramping up around 4:30p and lasts until close to midnight. I can't play games or use discord because everything is lagging so badly. It even affects website loading times. This is what I see in my router when it starts happening.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.