Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Vadedjs's profile

32 Messages

Wednesday, December 27th, 2023 5:56 AM

High ping and lagging on 1G fiber

I’ve only had ATT fiber for only 3ish months now. Up until a month ago everything was good. For whatever reason I now have issues with extremely high upload speed ping and can’t play any games on Ethernet connected devices. Discord voices lag. And I have constant issues. My ping is testing over 400ms at times on waveform bufferbloat tests. And I’ve called tech support 5 times now and all I’ve gotten is a new gateway which helped with nothing. I’ve tested multiple Ethernet wires from CAT5e to CAT8. Tried only having one device connected. Etc etc etc. Probably spent 5 hours at least on tech support for them to do nothing in the end but tell my to buy 2gig fiber. I got rid of spectrum because of all the issues I had with the 500mbps non fiber internet. Now all I have are issues with fiber. And they want $100 to have a tech come out because tests on their end are “fine”. This is worse than spectrum at this point. At least they would send a tech out when I had issues. 

32 Messages

4 months ago

That speed test posted above was my phone last night at 10:00. It was 2112ms at the height of the ping. If I’m trying to play a game and I’m getting spikes of 2000+ ping it makes it unplayable.

Latency on my PC right now is fine. As soon as it starts happening again later 7:00PM on the dot I’m sure I’ll run another test and see what happens. 

Based on the timings of it I’m guessing it’s an overloaded traffic issue in my area. My latency on the tests I’ve ran are an average of 200+ms. Up to 600ms. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

4 months ago

To fully diagnose this, you should be running traceroute/pingplotters to multiple destination hosts during times of normal behavior and during times when it's "lagging."  Then we can compare these and see where the increased latency is appearing and hopefully narrow down on where the issue really is.  Once we know where it is, we can see whose cage to try to rattle.  

Wi-Fi adds significant and variable latency.  It's hard to do the above comparisons when you have an additional unknown like that.

11 Messages

3 months ago

here we are...it seems they preform some kind of maintenance every so often that basically kills your service down to almost dead...not so bad that it shows up as a outage but kinda like life support. Here in st louis my connection as slowed to sloth speeds with sky high ping.

• 

37 Messages

3 months ago

Same here in St. Charles, MO.  I've had this issue periodically over the last ~2 years.  I'm down to like 2 Mbps download right now...

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

3 months ago

Two of you in the same geographic area?  Have you done traceroutes or ping plotters to identify the bottleneck?

• 

37 Messages

3 months ago

I'll let you know after the 20MB download finishes in 10 min... :P (sadly not an exaggeration)

(edited)

4 Messages

3 months ago

also in the same area as the two above having the same exact issue... 

paying for 1000 down/up and getting 2 down / 800 up

no complaints fr about the 800, just kind of odd im getting 2 down. just spoke with tech support and they told me nothing has been flagged in our area. i guess if there's a bunch of calls in one general area they flag it and fix it. doesn't really seem like a personal issue considering @D283W and i are getting the same speeds but could just be coincidental.

edit:
when testing using the smart home manager app that att asks you to use, the gateway tested somewhere around 750+mbps down / 800+mbps up. from the gateway to my devices though it was sending around 2 down / 800 up

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

3 months ago

Probably the Gateway's speed test uses a server that's not on the same route as the one Speedtest.net uses (or your other regular traffic).

• 

37 Messages

3 months ago

Yeah, the gateway test almost always checks out "Ok".  It's when the traffic has to route somewhere outside of the AT&T network (I think).

I'm trying to upload some images from pingplotter tests but you know...uploads are failing.

(edited)

4 Messages

3 months ago

is what they said above about maintenance true? if so then im not so worried. the only problem is iv had this service for a little over a year with no issue like this so far. this is a first.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.