Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Vadedjs's profile

32 Messages

Wednesday, December 27th, 2023 5:56 AM

High ping and lagging on 1G fiber

I’ve only had ATT fiber for only 3ish months now. Up until a month ago everything was good. For whatever reason I now have issues with extremely high upload speed ping and can’t play any games on Ethernet connected devices. Discord voices lag. And I have constant issues. My ping is testing over 400ms at times on waveform bufferbloat tests. And I’ve called tech support 5 times now and all I’ve gotten is a new gateway which helped with nothing. I’ve tested multiple Ethernet wires from CAT5e to CAT8. Tried only having one device connected. Etc etc etc. Probably spent 5 hours at least on tech support for them to do nothing in the end but tell my to buy 2gig fiber. I got rid of spectrum because of all the issues I had with the 500mbps non fiber internet. Now all I have are issues with fiber. And they want $100 to have a tech come out because tests on their end are “fine”. This is worse than spectrum at this point. At least they would send a tech out when I had issues. 

26 Messages

4 months ago

@gr8sho I don't use ATT's built in wireless. I have a full Ubiquiti network with all Ubiquiti wifi. Only thing that uses my wifi are my cell phones. Everything else is hardwired 10GB. I have a dedicated line to the ATT router for testing purposes. But other than that I'm running in passthrough mode with all features turned off on the ATT device.

(edited)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

4 months ago

I spent several years living in IP passthrough.  It dawned on me while shoveling sand against the tide the complexity was unnecessary for my needs.  I needed better WiFi which I can get just fine with my netgear router set in access point mode.  The gateway's router function is good enough, and all of the Ethernet connected traffic is handled by its DHCP server.  I try to factory reset the gateway after every firmware update to keep things tidy, and the only change I need to make after bringup is to disable the WiFi radios.  Fortunately my connection is trouble free, but a tech did recently knock me off the network and caught him in the act.   After the service was restored I've been able to carry on fine.   I'm on day 103 since last reboot which must be a world record for me. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

4 months ago

@Grignak  gr8sho and I have a friendly difference of opinion.  He believes that almost no one should use IP Passthrough and is on a campaign to tell everyone who has any questions to not use it, because it's too complicated and unnecessary.  I admit that IP Passthrough is not always necessary, but it is the customer's option and if he wants to get full value from his router (especially if one has sprung for a UDM, or wants to do anything that requires a router to do) then I'm going to help them with IP passthrough, not tell them they shouldn't use it.

26 Messages

4 months ago

I like IP passthrough because I host some web stuff from my VMware lab. Having to manage two firewalls for port forwarding is annoying. Not to mention the ATT device isn't as granular as I need for some thing. If I was able to throw it in the trash and connect the ONT directly to my UDM Pro I would do that.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

4 months ago

I don’t have a problem with helping people with IP passthrough if they truly need it as in the case with @Grignak   And for those technically oriented people, they generally can follow simple directions.  But for someone that can afford a quality wifi system to use with Att Internet to get reliable and available wifi coverage, and then think it’s necessary to use IP passthrough for them because they search and find references to it is wrong in my opinion.  Right tool for the right job.  

And for completeness let me add that I’m in complete disagreement with Att’s policy to force management of CPE.  Customers should have a choice just like cable.  

26 Messages

4 months ago

Just a quick little update. Last week they sent out yet another line tech who found nothing wrong. I decided to tell him I want to be moved to a different splitter. Surprisingly he agreed to do it. I have not had any issues since last week when he did this for me. I'm not going to claim my issue is solved yet but I'll let you guys know if anything changes or not. One thing of note here. I had spoken to a tech support supervisor that actually did what he told me he was going to do. He is the first and only person I've spoken with at ATT support that said they were going to call me back and he actually did. He also monitored my line and told me the new splitter I was moved to only has one other 2GB customer on it.  Maybe it was a congestion issue? We will see. 

(edited)

26 Messages

3 months ago

So far not a single issue since they moved me to a new splitter. It's looking like this may have solved my months long issue with latency and packet loss. 

32 Messages

3 months ago

Mine has also been good since they added me an entire new line which I’m guessing is connected to another splitter as well. I now have 3 internet lines going from the pole to my house but it’s working so I’m not complaining. Haha 

7 Messages

2 months ago

Update: Seems my issue got resolved quickly upon moving.

Not due to the location, but due to the technician identifying I had old hardware and wasn't even using a fiber modem.
The guy went the extra mile and helped me test the ethernet ports in the new rental which were pre-wired by the previous resident.
I am willing to say that this technician was a step above many others whom I've met and given credit to in the past, perhaps my best one yet of all ISP interactions.

You'd think this would be something they would check over the phone or when they signal check me for "problems".
The MAC ID or hardware would signal back and they should have some level of handshake to confirm these things.
I'd be highly surprised if this is a mixture of poor hardware deployment and general capacity limitations.

All this fuss over ignorance; Partially my fault for not using the right modem, but also AT&T's for not confirming this over multiple service calls and contacts.
(Edited per community guidelines) I wasted my time, effort and mental health over this / Annoyed AT&T could have resolved this a while ago / Relieved I don't have to look at this forum again.

Takeaway: Make sure you have one of those White modems that are big and bulky - and that it's intended for Fiber 🙃
Also - Make sure to check your internet regularly so you can identify changes and help to understand that which isn't tracked, but should be since your ISP won't.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

2 months ago

The BGW210 and even the 5268AC will work fine on fiber in combination with an ONT.  I'm glad that you're okay with your new, white, BGW320.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.