Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Vadedjs's profile

32 Messages

Wednesday, December 27th, 2023 5:56 AM

High ping and lagging on 1G fiber

I’ve only had ATT fiber for only 3ish months now. Up until a month ago everything was good. For whatever reason I now have issues with extremely high upload speed ping and can’t play any games on Ethernet connected devices. Discord voices lag. And I have constant issues. My ping is testing over 400ms at times on waveform bufferbloat tests. And I’ve called tech support 5 times now and all I’ve gotten is a new gateway which helped with nothing. I’ve tested multiple Ethernet wires from CAT5e to CAT8. Tried only having one device connected. Etc etc etc. Probably spent 5 hours at least on tech support for them to do nothing in the end but tell my to buy 2gig fiber. I got rid of spectrum because of all the issues I had with the 500mbps non fiber internet. Now all I have are issues with fiber. And they want $100 to have a tech come out because tests on their end are “fine”. This is worse than spectrum at this point. At least they would send a tech out when I had issues. 

26 Messages

4 months ago

@Vadedjs I have the same experience. I have had a week or two with no issues then it's every day for a month. It can be sporadic.

26 Messages

4 months ago

Came across this on another thread here. Someone having the exact same issue we are having and how he got it resolved.

26 Messages

4 months ago

@JefferMC Since no ATT representative has bothered to respond on this issue I'm assuming filing with the FCC is the way to go?

11 Messages

4 months ago

well i for one dont agree on the "its overloaded" (Edited per community guidelines)...happening on the same day of the month..for the same amount of hours...going on 4 months now..um ya if that dosnt scream some kinda maintenance i dont know what does. and if you run a "test" thru them it comes out all rainbows n moonbeams.

(edited)

26 Messages

4 months ago

Update: The tech they sent out today found no issues with the lines which I knew would happen. Nothing he can do and he said he can't escalate anything. Big surprise.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

4 months ago

@Grignak  said:

Since no ATT representative has bothered to respond on this issue I'm assuming filing with the FCC is the way to go?

Yeah, that's probably best at this point.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.8K Messages

4 months ago

We have multiple people here with the SAME EXACT ISSUE!. None of us even know each other so it's not like it's some coordinated effort to bring down ATT. You would think someone would take notice and actually look at the problem.

You would think.  However AT&T support is predicated on the idea that the AT&T Core network is perfect; they allow that sometimes there's some problems out towards the customer end where things need fixing; however 99.99% of all problems are the customer's fault.  So customer service rep's only job is to figure out what the customer did wrong and tell them how to do it right. Since the AT&T network is perfect, there's no need to have any kind of common issue recognition or anything like that.  The problems are all in the lines or at the house or user error.  Mainly user error.  

So... yeah, people like me and other ACEs do a bit of pattern recognition and try to shove it in someone's face.  Recent example:

We recently had an issue where we had multiple people in a small region (equipped as you are to do pingplotter or similar) who recognized that traffic was being dropped for a short period of time on HARD 15 MINUTE BOUNDARIES.  Consistently, across multiple customers.  As they'd call in, tickets would be opened, trucks would roll, techs would be puzzled, but that was the extent of it.  Finally, one way or another, someone at the CO found a problem, I think with a line card, and replaced it.  Poof, problem solved.  The same exact issue popped up a few hundred miles away a week or three later at another city.  Same song and dance, techs rolled out, can't find anything.  While that's going on a third city... same problem.  I, personally, think it was a bad firmware update due to the way it rolled out like it did.  Anyway, I was almost to the point of screaming at our AT&T contact to please ask the office at the new locations to call up the first location and ask them what the heck the problem was.  My point is, not only do they not recognize clumps, they don't seem to share issues between offices.  At least I never heard this particular problem come back after the third city.  Maybe they finally got the RCA up so that the underlying issue got fixed before it got out anywhere else.

When it works, it normally works great.  And that's the way it is for most customers most of the time.  But when it isn't.  Sigh.  Deep sigh.

32 Messages

4 months ago

I have my tech coming bright an early at 8am tomorrow. I’ll give him all these solutions if he “finds nothing” and see what happens. Haha

ACE - Professor

• 

5.7K Messages

4 months ago

@Grignak 

The WiFi section of these gateways leaves a lot to be desired, so that’s a thing.   If you can’t reliably run discord directly Ethernet connected to the gateway, that’s pretty poor.  
Also, if latency varies greatly at the gateway depending on time of day, I’ve seen issues that Att had to address.  This is one reason pooling responses by location can be useful to shine a light (pardon the pun).  

32 Messages

4 months ago

Tech came out and ended up swapping the line from the pole to my house. Mentioned the light % went from 25% to 17% or something of that nature. We’ll see how long it lasts working. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.