Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Vadedjs's profile

32 Messages

Wednesday, December 27th, 2023 5:56 AM

High ping and lagging on 1G fiber

I’ve only had ATT fiber for only 3ish months now. Up until a month ago everything was good. For whatever reason I now have issues with extremely high upload speed ping and can’t play any games on Ethernet connected devices. Discord voices lag. And I have constant issues. My ping is testing over 400ms at times on waveform bufferbloat tests. And I’ve called tech support 5 times now and all I’ve gotten is a new gateway which helped with nothing. I’ve tested multiple Ethernet wires from CAT5e to CAT8. Tried only having one device connected. Etc etc etc. Probably spent 5 hours at least on tech support for them to do nothing in the end but tell my to buy 2gig fiber. I got rid of spectrum because of all the issues I had with the 500mbps non fiber internet. Now all I have are issues with fiber. And they want $100 to have a tech come out because tests on their end are “fine”. This is worse than spectrum at this point. At least they would send a tech out when I had issues. 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

5 months ago

What good is sending a tech out when there is not a problem in your home?  The issues you're describing are likely not that.  You will probably need to set up extensive automated performance tests using something like Ping Plotter or PRTG to gather information at the detail necessary to expose an issue.  Once to that point, it will be hard to get them to acknowledge the issue and get someone to fix it. 

If you will get the pingplotter set up and start collecting results to servers that you care about, a public DNS server or two and the first hop beyond your home (for starters), then we can build a case for where the problem is.  Once you have that, I'll try to find you someone who will listen.

32 Messages

5 months ago

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing or if this is right. But red can't be good. haha

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

5 months ago

Some observations:

1) You're using IPv6.  IPv6 is still largely "experimental"  not widely adopted and results vary widely.  If you really want to push the edge, fine, but you might want to see what happens when you turn it off.

2) ii.net seems to be an Australian network.  Meaning on the other side of a very large pond.  Meaning a significant increase in latency is not unexpected.  200 ms seems a bit stiff, though.

3) You're going to ii.net via cogentco.com, which is a peer selected by AT&T to carry the traffic to ii.net.  They might would have done better selecting a different peer. They might select a different one on IPv4.

4) The red "no responses" from the hops in the middle don't really mean anything since the hops beyond them responded.  Once you get a solid wall of red to the end, then you look at them.

32 Messages

5 months ago

I disabled the IPv6 and it didn't change anything. Here's what it shows while connecting to the Call of Duty server for the midwest. 

32 Messages

5 months ago

Here's just google as well. It's sad that I can't even have a discord call on 1gig internet. Something that should be able to be done on 10mbps speeds. haha 

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

5 months ago

I don't see anything glaringly wrong with either of those plots.

on 173.237.74.118, it's simply not responding to PING.  That's a choice of 172.237.74.118's owner.  Take it up with them.

on the second plot, a lot of intervening nodes in Google's network are configured not to respond.  Take that up with Google.  The ultimate destination responded 100%, but with a not-so-stellar latency.  I see that you're near the Ciecro, IL office, which seems to have gotten rather overloaded.  I have seen other complaints from there.  I would think you would be getting to a Chicago-area Google server in a lot less than 50 ms.   Try 8.8.8.8 for grins; I'm curious if the DNS server is any better than the web page.

32 Messages

5 months ago

Appreciate the help. During the day I don't really have too many issues. It's the at night between 7-11:00 when there's obviously more traffic. I'm just not sure why it started happening just a month ago. Unless they added more people in the neighborhood and overloaded things. The pole outside my house has been overloaded with Spectrum people for years every tech has said but nobody would actually fix it ever. I would've guessed ATT would be using something different but maybe not? The old Spectrum line was never removed and they run next to each other from the same spot it seems. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

5 months ago

Your average to the Google DNS server is a bit high, but it's not in a range AT&T considers "bad," so it will be almost impossible to get them to act on numbers like that, though I'd say they should be better.

AT&T's standards for latency are from the dark ages.

32 Messages

5 months ago

So I guess my only option is cancel it then because it's absolutely terrible to use. 1GB speeds are worthless if all it does is lag. haha

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

5 months ago

For a little while, AT&T was advertising sub 20 ms latency in some markets.  It was a short lived campaign. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.