Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
C

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 10th, 2020 3:43 AM

HELP - High latency/ping with Fiber. (Downtown Austin, TX)

I've had crazy high ping times that have made videoconferencing (and gaming) a nightmare.  Ping tests bounce from 100-250+, with frequent timeouts.

Haven't been able to get any help from tech support after long wait times, either. Same for the rest of my apartment complex — we're all ready to switch to the other ISP.  
For reference, I have Fiber with the Arris BGW210 modem/router.  Problem persists even with ethernet.
Can anyone please help?

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I'm seeing the same problem. Also downtown Austin apartment. Very high ping test from 70 to 200. Download speeds 8mb - 10mb, upload 150Mb plus. Normally I have below 7ms ping, 900mb plus download and 600mb plus upload. My connection is hard wired between laptop and router, not wifi.

Noticed it first yesterday evening, was fine this morning, and now slow again this evening.

Scholar

• 

4K Messages

4 years ago

First this is a customer to customer forum. Now it would help to know what address(s) you are pinging with high ping times?

Not sure how successful you are going to be switching ISPs, do you even have another ISP as an option?

Have you tested your speeds using the AT&T Smart Home Manager app or from the web interface:

https://myhomenetwork.att.com/

This test will actually run from the AT&T side of the connection and report the speeds to your BGW210 and you can also test speed by device.

Let us know your test results.

Dave

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Hey Dave,

Tested my ping against my own IP + Google. Both are all over the map.
Yes, fortunately, our building has another ISP option.
Yes, I've tested speeds thru AT&T Smart Home Manager and https://myhomenetwork.att.com/ . The download/upload speeds test OK thru wired connection.  Ping continues to be the issue.
As for my other device –– my console doesn't show up on Smart Home Manager, even though it is  wired and connected.

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Retested now, about 2 hours after I reported on this forum previously. Speeds are fine and near what I usually see. I have changed nothing in my configuration or setup.

So, this problem is intermittent. Those are usually the most difficult to diagnose.

I do suspect this is something outside of my local setup. Possibly throttling by AT&T or some congestion in the downtown Austin area.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.