Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Dec 31, 2016 8:24 PM

Has anyone tried using a Bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter with the supplied Gigapower 5268AC modem/router?

AT&T basic tech support routed me to higher level support, and the tech went from misunderstanding my question whether or not the 5268AC modem/router supports Bonded MoCA 2.0 to suddenly saying "Yes", so I am a little suspicious.

Since I disconnected from Time Warner service I have my house coax going unused, and from what I understand, I can use an Actiontec Ethernet to coax adapter with Bonded MoCA 2.0 to attempt to get the fastest possible speed out of my coax wiring. I can see from accessing the router that it supports HomePNA, as this appears to already be enabled by default. Has anyone tried one of these adapters with their coax wiring to see if it is compatible with the 5286AC?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ndasgupt

Teacher

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I can confirm that this works. Most of the new residences in the area now have ethernet wall ports but if you don't you can very well use the Actiontec Bonded Moca 2.0 to get the same benefit.

----

Had I listened to the helpdesk at Actiontec, I wouldn't have had this today. The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) has an ethernet out that goes into the AT&T Router. We have been cable-free for some time and hence the cable lines have remained unused. The ground floor is where the router is located. The first floor has coax outlets in all the rooms but no ethernet outputs and as a consequence, we were stuck with having a Gigabit ethernet that only worked in a single room. I called Actiontec and they advised that if I didn't have "Cable Modem" it won't work. I saw the videos on Youtube and the support documentation which did not ask for a Cable Modem. You'd think that Actiontec - as the manufacturer would know what they are selling but evidently doesn't. It is a shame considering that the product is very capable.

I took some notes as I set up my environment which I have provided below --

Items
• Actiontec Bonded Moca 2.0 Adapters (2)
• Coaxial Cable Stripper (Can use any ordinary wire cutter)
• 4 X 1 Coaxial Splitter
• Coaxial Connectors

Steps
1) Connect Actiontec Adapter 1 in the room (Living Room) with the router
2) In the cable box, connect coax outlet from Living Room to the other coaxial cables where you want to provide Ethernet connectivity
3) Connect adapter in other rooms where the coax was connected to (from 2)

Notes:
• If the coax cables in the cable box do not have connectors, use a coax stripper to attach connectors (sold at Home Depot / Lowe’s)
• The Coax indicator on the Actiontec adapter will light up only after a bi-directional connection has been established. This can take 15-30 seconds depending on your coax setup, etc
• I was able to obtain the advertised speeds after testing with iperf3 between 2 devices linked via Actiontec in different rooms
• In order to test whether your Actiontec kit is working, you can connect the Coax In connectors of each adapter together with a coax cable. Connect the Ethernet port of one adapter (say adapter 1) to the router and the Ethernet port of the other adapter (adapter 2) to a device. This should establish a link as follows –

Router -> Adapter1_Ethernet -> Adapter1_CoaxIn -> Adapter2_CoaxIn -> Adapter2_Ethernet -> Adapter2_Device_Connected_To_The_Ethernet

This should light up the Coax indicators on both the adapters.
-----

Hope this helps. This is a very simple installation and just requires connecting wires together to make it work. I know there is quite a bit of confusion online over how it works. My situation was made simpler by the fact that I didn't have any cable connection and got to use the coax network solely for the purpose of making the ethernet network. The only challenge I had was making sure that the coax cables were connected to one another - when I initially did the setup it didn't work and this was because none of the wires were actually connected in the cable box. The Coax light also takes a few seconds to come on and it does so once a round-trip connection has been established - for those who have not been able to get this to work, I'd suggest trying the round-trip adapter <-> adapter test and if that works, then you may have an issue with the coax cables. Lastly, if you have several cable connections a coax connection tester (such as a coaxial tone tester from Holland) would help. If nothing works, get a cable guy to set up a connection similar to how I have shown it in the attached picture. Please feel free to let me know if there are any further improvements to this I could make. As my disclaimer -- These steps worked for me, but I don't know enough about coax/electrical/etc to say this it would work for everyone, so use your best judgment before purchasing the items. Thanks!

perf_test.jpgimage4.jpgimage3.jpgimage2.jpgImage1.jpg

Brand User
ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

137.3K Messages

4 years ago

Hi @HypnoticSpeck,

We have not worked with a MOCA adapter, but we have heard they have worked in the past. Some TV cable setups still require a MOCA adapter for connecting to the internet, and we have seen it work with U-verse. With the HPNA being enabled, that is for TV connection through coax on the U-verse gateway. If possible though, we always suggest a direct Ethernet connection for your U-verse setup, and if you have TV service through U-verse, to avoid these adapters.

-ATTU-verseCare

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Wow, thank you so much, this is very helpful. I moved from a newly built house, which I arranged to have Ethernet cable run to all rooms during the building process, to an existing one without (even the coax runs to all the rooms appeared to be an after thought), so I know how expensive this house would be to get it wired for Ethernet. Since I ran a separate coax for an attic antenna, I have all this cable coax wiring going to waste, and my setup will work perfectly with what you describe.

I've heard mixed reviews about Actiontec support, my own experience is that their support hasn't replied to my e-mail yet. Which hopefully won't be an issue with the presence of these very helpful forums!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have the above router is that an internet coax out such that i only need moca x1 or do i have to use cat 5 out x 2 moca

cjarrell

Mentor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Based on the picture it's cat 5 out x 2 moca; so that design has absolutely nothing to do with the 5268AC as you can do that with anything.  The COAX out on the 5268AC is for home pna; i.e. iptv.

I just converted to att gig fiber from Comcast so unless I find a way to hack the home pna which seems highly doubtful I'll need the x2 moca instead of what I had with my surfboard sbg6782-ac which was true moca out of the modem and 1 moca adapter in my other room.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I recently upgraded to the b something 210 it's nice and fast but I think my NETGEAR ac1600 can go faster. It's a cable modem though there is no coax on the new 210. I have a TP-Link ac900 behind the 210 now. I know there has to be a way to get this NETGEAR with the other 2 or something.. please help. Thank you. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Hi - I found this thread while trying to figure out a solution to utilize my ATT Fiber connection. I don't have ethernet cabling so am using multiple routers (mesh) from Amplifi and while the throughput is decent, it's about 1/4 of (250 Mbps vs 1G). I also have ATT U-Verse TV (IPH8110 DVR) that is connected via HPNA from the ATT Pace residential gateway, so my situation is slightly different from what you have. I was wondering if I could use the Actiontec adapters and use the ethernet connection on the DVR thus eliminating the need for HPNA? So the connections would be something like below:

Pace RG -> Ethernet (Actiontec 1) -> Coax (Actiontec 1) -> Coax (Wall 1)

Coax (Wall outlet 2) -> Coax (Actiontec 2) -> Ethernet (Actiontec 2) -> DVR (Ethernet)

Would something like this work (theoretically)?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I've found the download speed in my setup, after going through the first Actiontec device, my house coax cabling and then the second Actiontec device, drops from about 950 Mbps to 350 Mbps using AT&T's speedtest. I eliminated all the very puzzling cable splits the cable company had installed over the years (I'm talking a 4 way splitter feeding into a 3 way splitter), so I figure most of the drop in speed is the distance and perhaps quality of the coax cabling (house was built in 1990).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks - my house is the same vintage and cabling is a rats nest. I'm getting the same speeds over wifi (mesh), so will probably just stay with that.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Quick update - I just installed the Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters and so far so good. I'm getting about 820Mbps down and 860Mbps up when connected directly to ethernet via coax. I've connected my Amplifi Mesh HD router and Speedtest on AppleTV connected to the router is showing the same results. My UVerse receivers are wired (coax) and they appear to be working as well (so far). Here is what I did:

1. Connected ATT Gateway coax into a splitter and also connected the Actiontec adapter to the splitter (dual coax side). Also connected the ethernet on the Actiontec adapter to the ATT Gateway LAN port.

2. Connected the splitter into the wall coax outlet (single coax side) near the gateway. The primary Amplifi router is already connected to the ATT Gateway and is in bridge mode

3. Connected a splitter (single coax side) into the wall outlet near the mesh router

4. Connected the ATT Receiver (VP1200) coax into one of the outputs on the splitter (dual coax side)

5. Connected the Actiontec adapter to the 2nd coax output on the splitter

6. Connected the ethernet on the Actiontec adapter to the WAN port on the Amplifi Mesh router.

Hope this helps someone.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I didnt ask question recently do I have to worry about a hack?

Get started...

Ask a new question