Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
wrighteous's profile

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, April 26th, 2022 10:01 PM

Google Nest Wifi is slow after setting up BGW320 in passthrough mode

I have ATT fiber at home, BGW320 modem/router. The signal drops off at the front of my house, where my office is. The fiber comes into the back of the house.

Bought a Google Nest Wifi with 2 access pucks and set it all up. Configured the BGW320 as passthrough, per these instructions: https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-fiber-equipment/using-google-nest-mesh-system-with-att-fiber/616f8240793b38530dce22b2

Now, my signal is worse. I get ~100 mbps up and down, whereas before it was about 300. When I open an internet-using app or browser, they all stutter and freeze before finally opening. Opening my gmail takes up to 90 seconds now.

On a MacBook Pro 2017.

Not sure what else to do. Going to return all the Nest Wifi stuff and think about dropping Cat 6 through my walls, which is my long-term plan for our 100 year old house.

Sounds like this is a common problem. Have you experienced this and succeeded in solving it?

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.9K Messages

9 months ago

Nest Wi-Fi is a cheap system. You should get a better mesh system like asus, netgear, eero, etc. I’m guessing you know you won’t get the full speed you are paying for wirelessly.  Ethernet wiring is the best long term solution. Temporary solution is a long Ethernet cable running through the house. It won’t be pretty but it would work. What speed plan do you have? 300, 500, 1000. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

9 months ago

I have the Netgear Orbi RBK750 system. One satellite is hardwired upstairs for the backchannel and the other one upstairs uses WiFi for the backchannel. Very fast and reliable. Ethernet wiring is via solid copper core, UTP, CAT-6 cabling (non-CCA/CCS and not ethernet patch cable). Two fully hardwired home theater systems and about 15 WiFi devices on at any given time. No issues.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.