Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Austingigaprob's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, January 13th, 2017 2:47 PM

Gigapower - Pace5268 - with Sonos

I have Gigapower with a Pace gateway/router. I've placed two extra pieces of hardware behind the Pace gateway. A Sonos wireless Bridge and Apple WiFi AirPort Extreme plus airport express attached wirelesss to the Extreme, acting as an extender. I use the Apple WiFi system because there are parts of the house that the wifi from the Pace Gateway cannot get to. The Apple WiFI + extender broadcasts a better WiFi signal. The Apple WiFi AirPort Extreme has been set up in Bridge mode. It is NOT trying to do DHCP/NAT or do any routing. 

I have left the WiFi of the Pace gateway/router ON. However, regular devices (phones, laptops) get their WiFi signal from the Apple WiFi system. 

The service mainly works but every couple of days (2 to 3) the internet fully stops working. . It is not an issue with the WiFi wireless connection - the signal remains strong (from both the Pace gateway WiFI which i dont use and the Apple WiFi which I do use). The Sonos speakers around the house get their wireless signal from the Sonos bridge wireless device. Note that the Sonos bridge im using is quite old - it probably dates back to 2010, possibly even a bit earlier. Sonos no longer makes the Bridge and has instead replaced it with the Boost.

It seems to be that the Pace Gateway/router has some sort of problem that takes 2-3 days to develop at which point the only solution is to restart the router. 

A call to AT&T support was useless. They sent a tech to the house but he was a hardware guy only - no understanding of routing/NAT/etc.. He called the internal tech support that he has access to within within AT&T and they were also useless. Started telling him nonsensical stuff which showed that the person providing the support had limited, if any, understanding of how routing and switching work. 

So im stuck - i can make this work but that currently requires rebooting the Pace gateway/router every couple of days. Oh, I wish Google Fiber was in my neighborhood 

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Austingigaprob

You state that you use the Apple WiFi AirPort Extreme has been set up in Bridge mode. Am I correct in stating that you have it in the DMZ of the 5268ac?

I never had any luck in doing that because the throughput speed was severely impacted and the logs of the 5268ac showed that the Apple AirPort Extreme connection was bouncing. Consequently, I just cascade the Apple AirPort Extreme (Ethernet to 5268ac) and use DHCP.

Anyhow, based on your symptoms please disable IPv6 on the 5268ac.

Let me know

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

The Airport Extreme (and the Airport express that extends the Extreme) are set up in bridge mode and therefore DHCP/NAT are being done by the 5268. However, I do not have the Airport Extreme/Express combo in the DMZ of the 5268ac. Should I? 

I will turn off IPv6 on the 5268

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

Stay away from configuring a DMZ on the 5268ac.

I have configured my Airport Extreme with a static address of 192.168.1.253. (The 5268ac uses an IP address of 192.168.1.254.) My Airport Extreme is configured as a 192.168.64.0 network for my downstream devices for which the Airport Extreme is a DHCP server. Also, I configured my Airport Extreme to use Google DNS; 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which is faster and more reliable.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

OK - trying that. the Apple Airport Extreme does not want to let me change the range of IP addresses it is going to hand out to clients that connect to it. it is insiting on using the 192.168.1.x subnet.

On the 5268, I gave the Apple Airport Extreme the static IP of 192.168.1.253 and on the airport extreme, i put in the following settings on the "internet tab" 

- Connect using: Static (telling the Extreme that its own IP address is static. It does not use DHCP to pull an IP from the the 5268 upstream)

- IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.253 (telling the Extreme that it has an IP address of .253)

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Router address: 192.168.1.254 (this is the IP address that the Extreme will send all routing traffic to)

DNS: (google dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

on the Network tab of the Extreme

Router mode: DHCP only (the Extreme will hand out IP addresses to any client that connects to it)

DHCP range: this is where I am running into problems. I would like to set this to be the range you are using or some other private range - say 10.0.0.1 but the Extreme is basically not letting me edit these. every configuration i make seems to be a problem and it wont let me save them. 

Have i set something wrong on the Internet tab of the Extreme that is preventing me from setting the DHCP range on the Network tab of the Extreme?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

The reason why the Airport Extreme won't let you configure DHCP is because you are using bridge mode. Because I use several Apple products and their unique Apple functionality like AirPrint, I did not use bridge mode and preferred to keep the networks separate. This is the screen where you put it in bridge mode. I don't know how to get back to this screen other than to factory reset the Airport Extreme.

airport6.png

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Ok, have factory reset the Extreme (have not yet factor reset the Express that I use as the extender). Unfortunately, it did not give me the screen you pasted. However, in the Network tab of the Airport Utility app (running on a Mac) the first setting is called "Router Mode" and there is a pull down which offers three options - DHCP and NAT, DHCP, Off (Bridge mode). From there, I've chosen DHCP so the Extreme is, in theory, not in bridge mode. Unfortunately, same problem persists - I am not able to select the range of IP addresses that I want the Extreme to hand out. 

I like the idea of having the separate Apple WiFi network behind the Pace5268AC so am going to try to mimick your setup here. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Was there a fix to this ,... running into similar issues with the PACE modem from ATT uverse and with a hardiwire connection to sonos bridge.... if I reboot everything  - ATT - then netgear switch then sonos bridge - the systems and speeds work great -- eventually after some time - the network slows to a halt and I am forced to reboot.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.