Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Fri, May 18, 2018 2:33 PM

Gigabit through internet switch

I recently had Uverse gigabit fiber installed and I get around 950mbs according to the AT&T Speedtest site on my main computer sitting next to the gateway. The gateway is a model 5268AC. I have internet, Uverse TV and home phone through it. My wife's computer is at the other end of the house so I bought a Linksys 8 port gigabit ethernet switch, model SE3008 to connect to her computer. I ran 5E cable to the switch and from the switch to her computer. I can only get around 93mbs on her computer. I can take my Macbook and connect to the cable going from the gateway to the switch and get 930mbs, but coming out of the switch I get only 90mbs. I have tried several cables and several ports on the gateway and on the switch. I contacted Linksys support and they have no idea but sent me a replacement switch. It does the same. Is there some kind of incompatibility with the gateway and an internet switch?

Responses

192kHz

Employee

• 

540 Messages

2 years ago

I just read thru the thread here and didn't see anyone say what I'm about to say.

There are various types of switches out there. 

To me it sounds like you have yourself a 10/100 switch. You won't get over 100mbps with that. 

Get a 10/100/1000 (1gbps) [gigabit] switch.

We know the cables, etc are good; as you say when you connect right to the gateway's ethernet outputs you get much higher than 100mbps.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
sfortin7

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

2 years ago

The OP gives the model of the Linksys switch. It's definitely a 1Gbps switch.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

OK, I have just tried something I had not before. As I said I have a 50 foot cat5E cable running from the gateway to the switch. I can connect my Macbook to the end of it and get 850 or more Mbps, but if I connect that cable to the gigabit switch and come out of it with a known good cable to my Macbook, I get only 80 or so Mbps.

I have discovered that if I connect a short 5E cable, 6 feet, from the gateway to the switch and connect another short 5E cable from the switch to my Macbook, I can get 850 or more Mbps. And if you look at the internal setting of the gateway it says that line to the switch is 1 Gbps. So the gateway can be set with the switch to allow gigabit. I tried it a bunch of times just to make sure.

Can the problem then be that the 50 ft 5E cable along with the switch is too much of a load on the gateway or something like that.

Would some cat6 cable be the cure?

sfortin7

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

2 years ago

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Supposedly Cat5e is good out to 320 ft or so. Maybe you have interference from the cable run.

Gpz1100

Scholar

• 

86 Messages

2 years ago

@kodak1888

Recall what I said earlier about the cable not being properly terminated.  Could be they're using the correct sequence of colors but the connector is on poorly, resulting in what amounts to a 100 mbps connection at best.

If you have the tools and connectors, just snip off the ends and install new connectors.  If this is not an option then buy another 50' cable.  Or buy the tool & ends and crimp yourself.  Probably come out a wash at the end but at least you'll have more ends and the crimper for next time.

You should be able to have a reliable link up to 100m (~328 ft) segment assuming a properly terminated end.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

I have ordered new cat6 cable and it will be here Monday. Hopefully that will work.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

OK, I got two new cat6 cables today from Amazon and gigabit works as it should. Although the cat5e was supposed to work with gigabit, either

my cables were inferior or AT&T gigabit requires cat6 when running long cables. Like I said before it worked fine with short, 6-10 foot, cables

but with the cat5e 50 foot ones it wouldn't.

Whatever, I'm glad to be going with high speed. Thanks to all for the interest and the suggestions.

Gpz1100

Scholar

• 

86 Messages

2 years ago

My guess is your old cable is fine too (unless there's visible damage/kinks).  Have your local neighborhood tech geek install some new ends on it following the 586b standard.