Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tue, Jun 20, 2017 9:16 PM

Getting Gigabit Fiber - modem questions

Hi,

I am getting a Gigabit fiber upgrade.from my 2 wire Uverse service this weekend, and have a modem question.

My current service is Voice and internet only.  I have a 5 IP block assigned, and use my own firewall and router gear on the inside.  I am a network engineer, so not a complete novice I hope!

2 questions:  Note that I am getting  the same service (no video) just on the faster fiber connection.

1)  What modem model are they apt to provide?  I'd like to research it, and I see a couple referenced in the forum here.

2)  Is the passthrough configuration still the same as the old 2 wire system?  That is

a) You get your IP forwarded by DHCP

b) Any given inbound port can only be assigned too a single IP (so, for example, 2 of the IP's could not be used for a port 80 web server... you really don't have 5 true IPs).

I had been running  with "all ports" sent to the main VPN/Firewall device, and pulled out odd ones for other things on the other IP's.   It works (with a lot of reboots on both sides initially) but is limiting and unnecessary.  So, anyone gotten that far with the new gear??  Not a showstopper, but would like to plan to use what I have. 

I don't expect or want a bridge mode really (though I could work with VLANs or routes) and know this is really consumer gear.  Just curious if things have changed much.  The old config was done through the pinholes/firewall page, among others.

Any info would be appreciated!

-Mike

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

dave006

Scholar

• 

376 Messages

3 years ago

2 questions:  Note that I am getting  the same service (no video) just on the faster fiber connection.

1)  What modem model are they apt to provide?  I'd like to research it, and I see a couple referenced in the forum here.

2)  Is the passthrough configuration still the same as the old 2 wire system?  That is

a) You get your IP forwarded by DHCP

b) Any given inbound port can only be assigned too a single IP (so, for example, 2 of the IP's could not be used for a port 80 web server... you really don't have 5 true IPs).

The current range of Residential Gateways varies by market but here is the basic list: BGW210--700, 5268AC, NVG599 and NVG589. The actual unit installed will depend on what is on the installer's truck.

Yes these RGs support IP Passthru or DMZplus depending on device. Sorry but you actually had your 2Wire configured incorrectly for a Static IP block.  That is why you had issues with not being able to have multiple addresses open on the same inbound port(s) range.

The 2Wire uses the term Secondary Network for Public IP blocks. The newer units offer a combination of following terms: "Secondary Network" or in the case of the 599-589 the term is Cascaded Router to properly configure your Public Block of Static IPs.

Good luck on your install.

Dave

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you!  Exactly what I needed on the list.  Just wanted something to research a bit.

I am more than happy to be wrong on the routing/cascading (router-behind-router I could swear it used to be called)... 2011, I believe, is when I set it up, and have only maintained it since then.  I researched options for connecting a Cisco ASA 55xx for days, if not weeks and months, and this was all that really worked.  The ASA not being a true router (and having many quirks) may have lead me away from that option.  The DHCP assignment with pinhole passthrough (or all)  was about as good as I could get, and that was what others seemed to be using for that device.  Most references to it I see in searches now are from about 2013, but I did see at least one from 2011.  Guess it was there but I had dismissed it for some reason.  I cannot believe I didn't try it! 

I have not read the full set of threads on it (been looking at some), but I do recall that the ASA needs the outside IP to be one of the assigned WAN port IPs (i.e. 105.55.105.xx: not a local .. 127,192,10, etc.)  so I am getting that forwarded through the Uverse modem's DHCP assignment.  I'll see how that translates in this cascaded router case.  I do see the ASA appears in the drop-down list for target router, however, so it might be able to sort it out.

Anyway, thank you again!

-Mike

Get started...

Ask a new question