Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
jg9933's profile

14 Messages

Friday, May 17th, 2024 12:46 AM

Frequent disconnects every few minutes

Just recently swapped over to att fiber and my experience has been pretty bad. The internet speed is fast which is great but I constantly disconnect every few minutes. I'll disconnect and after a few seconds (maybe 10) I'll reconnect. It's not too noticable when I'm working or just on my phone but gaming is almost impossible. At first I thought it was a bad ethernet cable but even on wifi the problem continues. 

I've noticed that when I do a internet speed test my download speed is nice and smooth (good and normal) but my upload speed is extremely jagged and laggy. I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I've reset my router many times, checked all cables, my fiber box seems to be normal, I just don't know what the issue is. The internet is only used by my PC and phone. Let me know if you've had a similar issue and how to fix please.

Even as I'm typing this I'm trying to play some online and I'm disconnecting randomly. Thankfully I'm not locked in any contracts. I plan on switching to a different internet provider if this isn't fixed within a few days. 

I have a BGW320-500 router btw

Accepted Solution

• 

42 Messages

1 month ago

I had the same exact problem with AT&T about a year ago and it's happening again. The techs will have no idea what you're talking about, the phone support people will have no idea what you're talking about. The only way I was able to get it fixed was running a traceroute on Ping Plotter and showing them screenshots of the packet loss happening at their own servers and filing an FCC complaint for AT&T. It put me in contact with the president's office of the company. They fixed it in about 4 days and kept in contact the whole time letting me know it was a faulty network card on their end that was affecting thousands of people in the area. To keep it short and sweet don't waste your time calling around and getting jerked around ATT tech support just file FCC Complaint they have a certain time frame they have to respond by. 

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

You did not mention if you are using Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection to your BGW320. What are you calling "disconnecting" randomly?

We need a few more details. Does your BGW320 restart, LED changes from White to Red or Green and blinking? How long is your outage for example while playing an Online game that is impacted can you still use a web browser to access Google?

Note: this is a public form where you connect with other customers, an AT&T Rep may stop by but they can't offer you much more than a list of contact points for more formal support.

Dave

14 Messages

1 month ago

It happens when I use both wifi or ethernet. I prefer to use ethernet though. Disconnecting as in my internet seems to completely stop for 10 seconds and my game can't update any sort of information that's happening. Usually my character might just sit still and stop responding to everything. Not a true disconnet because in the bottom left of my pc it still says its connected. My router does restart with a little red button, I've tried that as well. My outages usually last for about 10-15 seconds. A web browser would allow me to click on it but it's all unresponsive. 

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

Based on your additional details it really does not look like an issue with your Fiber connection. No issues with the BGW320 even reporting a connection issue.

It would be helpful if you could post the results of a Speedtest. A screenshot or link to report would be best. What Internet speed package do you have provisioned?

Tell us a little about your PC's Ethernet Controller and do you have any Game optimization software loaded on your PC

Dave

14 Messages

1 month ago

The only game optimization I've used for my pc has been GeForce experience for years. I've had almost 0 issues with it and all my drivers are up to date. I'm unfamiliar with what an ethernet controller is, but I don't think it has to do with any sort of ethernet problem because the issue happens over wifi as well. I have att fiber 300 up and down. The pics im sending are with wifi and one with ethernet. I feel like the wifi shouldn't be that bad when not lined in but it is. The router is in the same room.

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

Ethernet looks great with 5 ms idle latency,13 ms download, and 14 ms upload. The Wi-FI speeds may be limited by your Wi-Fi chip set. Is Wi-Fi on your motherboard, shared on your Ethernet controller or a separate card? Do you have a Wi-Fi antenna on your PC? I am going to guess that you are using a tower.

Wi-Fi is limited by the supported standard that you are connected via several levels: 802.11g/n/ac/x modes. What does your Wi-Fi connection show for Connection Speed?

Is there one specific online game that you are having the pause issue during game play?  Yea lots of questions but you don't have a Fiber connection issue.

Dave 

14 Messages

1 month ago

Let's rotate a little. I prefer to stay wired in so I'm not worried about the wifi speeds at all. I have a wifi antenna on my pc but again usually dont use it. It is a tower. Any multiplayer online game disconnects frequently. If it doesn't look to be a fiber issue continuously disconnecting over and over again then where should I go from here. I had a different internet service provider less than 2 weeks ago and this was never an issue.

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

No problem leaving the Wi-Fi out of this by you mentioned it a couple of times.

It still does not sound like you are disconnecting in the games but have pauses in Game play. Are you really disconnecting and have to reconnect to the game?

You mention another ISP, how did you connect? Examples: just a modem and you used your own Router or something else?

Are you using a router behind the BGW320 and which Ethernet port are you using on the back of the BGW320. Port 1 (blue box) or one of the Yellow ports? If you are using the Blue port try one of the Yellow ones since you can't really utilize speeds above 1 Gbps based on your Fiber 300 speed package (not an issue and you don't need a higher tier).

Dave

14 Messages

1 month ago

I believe I'm disconnecting from everything. When I'm in a call with my friends they can't hear me when these pauses are happening. After some time everything goes back to normal and they'll be able to hear me. What's weird is I wont physically disconnect from the discord call. I can still hear my friends (sometimes), they just can't hear me. The other ISP in the house is used by my family since they have they're own phone package with it. If I connected to it by wifi these pauses don't happen. (I don't use their ISP because it's very slow so I decided to get my own). It's slow but doesn't cause this issue that we've been talking about. 

I use the yellow ports for my ethernet cable. 

Scholar

• 

4.2K Messages

1 month ago

OK time to try to see if it is an issue with IP/6 in your region causing these pauses. You don't appear to really be disconnecting based on your Discord example. Connect to your BGW320's web server at : http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/ip6lan.ha

This page will want your Access Code from the back label of your BGW320 or your custom password if you chose to set up one.  You just want to change the setting for IP/6 from On to Off and save this change using the button at the bottom left of the page. You don't have to but I always recommend that you restart your BGW320 and your PC. BGW320 first. You can restart your BGW320 on the Diagnostics page > Resets page.

Dave

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.