Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
S

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, August 1st, 2020 5:42 PM

Frequent, brief internet outages & delays

We have a recent AT&T Fiber installation and have continuously received these brief interruptions in the service. These outages don't last more than a few seconds but are long enough to disconnect from Zoom meetings & online gaming service and cause buffering delays every couple of minutes while watching online video. I have run a network monitor over the last several days that show that these spikes are coming at a fairly regular interval and are impacting both wi-fi and ethernet connections to the router.  When I call the customer service number the system runs a test on the line, declares it working and wishes me a nice day. I need a fix for this.

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Why would I call a trucking company to help me with an AT&T service issue?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

4 years ago

@raymond112  is a naughty boy and posting spam (which was deleted ASAP).

(edited)

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

I don't think AT&T pays much attention to their Community Forums...

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am having the exact same problem.  But...the one major difference is we have had service for nearly a year and this intermittent latency issue (service disappears for about 20-30 seconds every 10-20 minutes started happening about 3-4 days ago.

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

I'm not hopeful that anyone from actual AT&T is going to see this but I know that others like me are faced with the same problem (including 4 other neighbors on my block alone) and so maybe this will aid you in dealing with the trainwreck that is AT&T fiber. Like many others, when the automated service checks my connection, it lets me know that the upload and download streams are at near 999 mb/s.  I have reset and restored my BGW210 repeatedly.  I have moved my router away from refrigerators, microwaves, stereos and other computers. I have power cycled and restarted everything on my network. I have also monitored the http ping (using PRTG free) and have seen a definite pattern of service interruptions and slowdowns that occur with regular frequency. Our problem has gotten progressively worse over the last 4 days (the length of time between lag spikes has dropped from 12-15 minutes to 4-6 minutes). We can no longer stream any kind of video without severe buffering or disconnections (Netflix/Amazon Prime buffers indefinitely and Zoom disconnects).  Online gaming is impossible.

One thing I learned that may be helpful - ask the tech to clean the tips. Not just inspect them but actually clean them. What I'm getting is called a strong light error (the strength of the fibre optic "signal" is strong but there are downstream errors). Apparently this is caused by physically dirty tips (I gather that this is what actually connects the fiber optic cable to the distribution center, the local box and the actual fiber receiver mounted on the wall inside my house). It has nothing to do with the modem or the WiFi signal in your home or business. If you have a tech come out to inspect it and he/she is uncomfortable with cleaning the tips at the splitter (it would knock up to 32 connections offline for about a minute) they can submit what's called an I&R ticket to have someone more specialized come and take care of it.

I hope this helps someone. I will update this after our tech visit next week to say whether or not we're functioning again. If anyone reading this has found success in getting these outages cured, please post here what worked for you. 

Good luck.

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Ok, update time.

Tech game yesterday, and he was fantastic. The problem was that the fiber optic connection between the wall-mounted  device and the outdoor line wasn't clean. The tech cleaned it, tested it, put in a different modem (210 --> 320) and now everything is working as advertised. Everything was done in house and the tech did not have to do anything at the outside connection. There was nothing I could have done on my end to clear this up.

FYI, I used the free monitoring software from PRTG, and it is still showing slight upticks in lag but they are vastly improved to the point of being inconsequential (see below).  

Again, I hope this helps someone having the same problems.

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

One thing to note about the graph above. This particular monitor scanned every 60 seconds and the spikes generally lasted 30 seconds or less. As a result, only about half of the actual service interruptions appear.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

4 years ago

What part of the country are you in?  Curious to know where BGW320's are appearing.

What is it that you're pinging?

If you're still getting interrupted service then something is still not right.

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

Houston area. The default in the monitor I use is Google. Service is not interrupted.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

4 years ago

Oh, when you said "only about half of the actual service interruptions appear" you were talking about before the tech visit?

You don't happen to have a temp gun, do you?  I'm curious to see what sort of temps the BGW320 is radiating.  The internal pics from the FCC submission shows that it's almost all heatsinks and it has a 48W power supply.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.