Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Apr 6, 2020 5:40 PM

Fiber/BGW210-700 problems on Apple devices

We have no problems with Windows devices. Browsing is fast.

However, for Apple devices (iPhones, iPads, and Macs), there is a problem. If I attempt to load the exact same page using Chrome on Windows and Safari on a Mac, it will load almost instantly on Windows while Safari sometimes sits there for up to 10-20 seconds before it's able to load. Oddly enough, opening up a 2nd tab in Safari and loading another page seems to "push" the 1st tab along.

This behavior isn't constant, but occurs roughly 75% of the time.

Speedtest.net on the Apple devices still shows very high speeds in the 300 mbps range. The issue isn't with speed -- it seems to be with the communication between the device and the gateway.

I've tried all the basic troubleshooting tips like restarting the gateway. It's not a gateway-specific problem. It's a problem with how Apple/Safari communicate with the gateway. I didn't have this problem with XFinity's router/modem.

I've tried disabling IPv6 with no success.

This occurs on all Apple devices, so it has nothing to do with location or distance from the gateway.

Responses

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

2 months ago

@gr8sho I seem to remember some setting(s) you used to refer to concerning Apple device performance on wifi? I tried searching and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm hallucinating...

"Don't make me summon the flying monkeys...."

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

I've done some experimenting on my Mac/Safari, and the results are bizarre.

The "delayed page load" occurs roughly 75% of the time. When it happens, the progress bar at the top of the browser gets to about the 10-15% mark and then just stops. If I wait it out, the page usually loads within 20-30 seconds. Bear in mind that on my Windows machine (using Chrome or IE), that same page loads almost instantly.

But what is odd is that if the 10-15% page load incident occurs and then I immediately click on another open tab in Safari and then go back to the original tab, the page is loaded. In other words, I can avoid this "delayed page load" by simply clicking on another tab and then back.

This seems to support the theory that the problem lies in the communication between the BGW210-700 device and Mac/Safari.