Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Jsgoral's profile

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 2nd, 2022 8:27 PM

Fiber speeds - how many pair

I have Cat5 throughtout my home.  However, we used 2 pair to support wired ethernet.  Then used 1 pair for a hardwired phone land line.

Today I had fiber installed and can only get 90Mbps from this line.  I understand that I need to use all 4 pair to get the higher speeds.

If I must use all 4 pair now for data, is there any way to still have access to the dial-up land line?   The land line currently works fine using the 2 wires we always had; and the wired internet works fine using the other 4 wires, but just at the slower speed.   Any suggestions? 

Hope this makes sense.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

1 year ago

I'm not quite sure how you have this set up.  The 1 pair comes from the phone NID, presumably to the wall jack where your landline is plugged in, right?  So you're trying to use that wall jack for both services?  Short of pulling another cable and adding a second jack on the wall plate, I don't see any other option.

Tutor

• 

71 Messages

1 year ago

In order to get 1G (940Mbps max with overhead), you'll need all 4 wires.  2 wires only supports 100Mbps (90 with overhead).

You're probably going to need another incoming line for your internet if you want to keep a traditional copper land line.

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Had a feeling that was the case.

Tutor

• 

71 Messages

1 year ago

Not sure what I was thinking, but there should be 8 not 4 wires.  (each color alone and each color with a white pair)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.