Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Fri, Aug 23, 2019 3:51 PM

Fiber Speed is Way Below Advertised

I got Fiber more than a month ago and was worried about the speed and stability of the connection since then.

To quantify my concerns I wrote a script and kept it running on my server that is connected to ATT router directly with an ethernet cable with nothing in between.

Speed is measured continuously every 10 minutes with a command "curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python -"

This is a python script that selects the nearest service and measures the upload download speeds.

All my files with date/times and speed measurements are here: https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/tree/master/speed-reports

A report is accumulated in one file here: https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/blob/master/result.txt

Visualization is here: "https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/blob/master/Speed-Graph.png"

Question:

I understand that ATT is overselling its capacity and I will never be able to get up to 1 Gb/s, however, average download speed is 401Mb/s which is way more closer to non-fiber plans that are less expensive as well.

How could I share my stats with ATT and ask to fix the problem?

PS Happy to assist to measure your speed with the same approach if you need this help.

demichev gmail.com

Responses

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I finally was able to speak to a knowledgeable tech support rep and I also was shipped a BGW210 but it did not resolve the problem and was still getting 200mbps on a 1 Gig plan.  I investigated further and found the issue to be my Netgear Nighthawk R8000 router's latest firmware. I have the Nighthawk router behind the BGW210 gateway.   I ended up rolling back several firmware versions on the Nighthawk which restored the speeds close to my plan.   I contacted Netgear and they are aware of the issue and will address in a future firmware update (No ETA as of now).   In the meantime I will remain on the older firmware version R8000-V1.0.4.12_10.1.46.    

Do you by chance have the Nighthawk router? 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

a year ago

Screenshot_20190904-192726_Speedtest.jpg

For giggles I restarted my phone and got these numbers, which is interesting because 10 minutes before I got these:20190904_193020.jpg

What the heck ATT?! I shouldn't have to restart my devices 10 times a day to get decent numbers

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

"I don't see where you've ever posted that you tried the BGW's internal speed test. Can you try that and post the results? Go into the BGW's UI, to Diagnostics then to Speed Test"

@tonydiI think I posted it on page 1, I did the test and internal test showed about 900+Mb/S originally. This however does not manifest itself as adequate speed for clients.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

"Do you by chance have the Nighthawk router? "

@scott07002, I don't have any routers in between BGW and my test box (Netgear DS414). My test box itself has 2 gigabit cards internally though.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

"What the heck ATT?! I shouldn't have to restart my devices 10 times a day to get decent numbers"

@pschulzeyou should not be using WIFI to perform these tests just because your environment and a number of WIFI points around will significantly affect the quality of your connection and thus DL speeds.

In my case I am using a wired connection directly to the router without any network devices in between.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

a year ago

Believe it or not, wired was worse. Hooked my laptop up at got 90Mbps down. Don't know why that happened, all drivers were up to date and I was using a Cat6 cable that was about 3' long.

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

a year ago

I think I posted it on page 1, I did the test and internal test showed about 900+Mb/S originally.

Arrgghh....sorry, @demichev, I must not have gone all the way back to the beginning of the thread.

timbuk2okc

Scholar

• 

354 Messages

a year ago

And of course the internal speed test is pointless if you can't get the GB speed on the other side of it to your device.  I mean, you can for 6 months, then you can't.  That's why I dropped my plan to 300.  Apparently that's all they want me to have.

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

a year ago

Not sure I'd call it pointless, since it at least tells you that the fiber connection is capable.  Since nothing on the network side of the gateway comes close to those numbers, it shows that the problem is either in the gateway, the cabling or the devices attached to the gateway.  Any time you can eliminate some of the possibilities, which that internal test does, it's a positive.

timbuk2okc

Scholar

• 

354 Messages

a year ago

We got tired of troubleshooting... spent at least a week on it.  At one time, one laptop would get 920 but the other would only get 450 on a separate test, same Ethernet, same length etc, the next time that laptop wouldn't but the other one would.  Losing wifi signal in the next room.  Tried running Ethernet cable and the wifi was faster.  Nothing consistent, but they don't know and I don't know so it's frustrating. It's amazing that for 6 to 8 months everything was perfect, but can't figure out what could have changed.  My late model 1+ GB capable Network card on my gaming laptop with all the latest & greatest should be capable of getting the 920 to 950 passed through the modem. It did for a while, but nobody can determine why it doesn't now.  What would limit it to 350? And why?  Just couldn't spend any more time and money on it.  They sold me a $50 Wifi Extender because he was a nice guy for the opposite end of the house, but we had to run an Ethernet cable from the modem around the house to direct connect to make it worthwhile. We should be further advanced than this.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

@timbuk2okc 

"What would limit it to 350? And why?"

Probably this happens because att has a fixed capacity channel that they oversell to multiple end consumers hoping they would never start using 1Gb/s downloads simultaneously.

But at one point in time service provider becomes too greedy selling more and more subscriptions with a single channel and the balance is going south, so people start experiencing that type of issues.

That's my personal opinion.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

a year ago

So I was only getting around 300 to 350Mbps on my BGW and i tried every thing I could think of.  They shipped me out a new one and it still had the same problems.  I tried a windows clean install as a last resort and immediately got near gig speeds.  I don't know why, but it could be worth a shot for you to try.

timbuk2okc

Scholar

• 

354 Messages

a year ago

So I wonder why AT&T and Microsoft don't get together and see what's causing it?  I'd love to do that, but too much time invested in the configuration and software on my laptop.  Took months to get it the way it is and I'll settle for lower speeds instead of starting all over again. I'd heard of someone else who said that helped them too, but other techies say no need to do that, so who knows.  Sometimes a weird thing will work for one and not for another.

But Thanks.

n2itus

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

a year ago

@timbuk2okc 

You want to make sure your computer is not being throttled/limited.  Are your laptops plugged in (this can change the power/cpu settings)?  What are the power plan are you on?  Is it the "full performance"?  If not be sure to set it to this when you are testing as otherwise you are potentially limiting the CPU speed which can limit the NIC. 

Also are there any power savings settings on your NIC (e.g. might be called "Energy Efficient Ethernet")?  If so you would want to disable that or any other power savings settings on the NIC.

timbuk2okc

Scholar

• 

354 Messages

a year ago

Always plugged in, tweaked for top performance....... Confirmed Network card configurations and all that. Laptop A was getting 920 for 6 months, laptop B would not, later... visa versa.  One is windows 7 one is windows 10.

Get started...

Ask a new question