Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Fri, Aug 23, 2019 3:51 PM

Fiber Speed is Way Below Advertised

I got Fiber more than a month ago and was worried about the speed and stability of the connection since then.

To quantify my concerns I wrote a script and kept it running on my server that is connected to ATT router directly with an ethernet cable with nothing in between.

Speed is measured continuously every 10 minutes with a command "curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python -"

This is a python script that selects the nearest service and measures the upload download speeds.

All my files with date/times and speed measurements are here: https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/tree/master/speed-reports

A report is accumulated in one file here: https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/blob/master/result.txt

Visualization is here: "https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/blob/master/Speed-Graph.png"

Question:

I understand that ATT is overselling its capacity and I will never be able to get up to 1 Gb/s, however, average download speed is 401Mb/s which is way more closer to non-fiber plans that are less expensive as well.

How could I share my stats with ATT and ask to fix the problem?

PS Happy to assist to measure your speed with the same approach if you need this help.

demichev gmail.com

Responses

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

a year ago

FW is 1.10.9

Phone is connected to the 5GHz band, TV is connected to 2.4GHz and 2 laptops are usually on 2.4GHz

When these tests were ran, the only things connected to the wifi were my phone and the TV. My wife almost always runs LTE because it is faster than the wifi.

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

a year ago

At this point I'd probably be trying to get AT&T to roll a truck to you and have a tech swap out the gateway.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

a year ago

Could the gateway be the issue? It states solid up and down numbers and a wifi analyzer shows good power output by the gateway itself, typically seeing -40dBm (2.4GHz) and -55dBm (5GHz) in the living room ~25ft away from the access point.

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

a year ago

One would think that it couldn't be the problem but I'll point to multiple instances similar to yours where replacing it did the trick. 

I'm not an engineer so the best way I can think of it is that while some functions appear to work perfectly (speed test, wifi signal strength) there are still many factors that influence online performance that may not be working correctly.  For instance, the speed test is gateway to server.  But now you add in all of the network pieces that handle gateway to device (PC, phone, etc) and if any of that falls on its face then you end up with what you have.  Or wifi signal....I can have great wifi connectivity but if the gateway is not connected to the Internet then none of that matters.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

I'm having the same issue although my speeds are running in the 200mbps range for the 1 GIG service.  I ran the gateway router (5268AC)  speed test and it is in the 900's.  Some fabulous enhanced tech support rep wanted me to pay 15.00 per month for enhanced tech support or 49.00 for this incident to try to resolve my issue.  I got so irritated with this and simply said I'm not paying AT&T to fix a service they are supposed to be providing to me and ended the conversation. I called Spectrum and ordered their GIG service and will be cancelling AT&T.  I was shocked at this. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

a year ago

Tonydi,

Nothing is wrong with speeds from the server to local AT&T Houston DL 822Mbps UL  850Mbps, but it's a rarity. If I run the test over and over I'll get good speeds like that if I choose a close "AT&T" fiber server.  

After spending time reseting everything on the router's GUI and rebooting and refreshing every stream I could find and clearing logs, the results improved some.  I agree, I will always see 900+Mbps speed when I do the test on the router login under Diagnostic and is a good baseline that the LAN connection is good, like you said.  Now that I know the speeds vary wildly in real word settings, I can live with it somewhat.  I still think its crazy to get speeds around 100Mpbs because I switched to a different fiber server in Montgomary (north Houston) or to a AT&T fiber service in Dallas.  Seems something isn't right, although it maybe slow technology not keeping up in the area.  Either way, I get better explanations on here than from techs on the phone.  Since I know that my BGW modem/router is showing internal speeds of 900+Mbps, Im not going to bother asking for a new one and not waste my time on the phone.   

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

a year ago

My BGW firmware

ManufacturerModel NumberSerial NumberSoftware VersionMAC AddressFirst Use DateTime Since Last RebootCurrent Date/TimeDatapump VersionHardware Version

ARRIS
BGW210-700
0c:
2018/04/17 17:17:13
01:07:11:30
2019-08-28T23:44:13
A2pvbJ042w.d27c
02001C0046004D

I use Mac and connect only to 5G connections.  

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

a year ago

Now that I know the speeds vary wildly in real word settings, I can live with it somewhat.  I still think its crazy to get speeds around 100Mpbs because I switched to a different fiber server in Montgomary (north Houston) or to a AT&T fiber service in Dallas.  Seems something isn't right, although it maybe slow technology not keeping up in the area.

@futbolbd 

There's a never-ending debate about the accuracy of online speed test sites. What you're seeing when you get really low results from one server is probably less about slow technology than it is about things like overloaded servers and plain old distance (which can also determine the number of servers your test runs through, any of which can have a big negative effect on the results).

I tend to run tests with one server that is close to me and that I know is at least consistent.  That consistency tells me when there's a problem, not the fact that it's X number of Mbps.   And while I tout the baseline quality of the gateway's internal speed test, it's not the be all/end all.  There are plenty of people here who have max speeds on that test and their Internet performance is still sub-par.

n2itus

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

a year ago

@futbolbd In my experience, I have been able to match the gateway speed test (withing 40 mbps +/i) compared to the ATT Houston from a workstation on my network.  For me that says that my internal network, my router or my test machine is not a bottle neck.  However when they don't match or one or the other (or as @tonydi says) isn't consistent - it points me to the area I have a problem with. 

What I have found over the years is that routers (used to be all, now is some) running dd-wrt are limited to around 300 mbps WAN to LAN (even when the same router with its vendor provided firmware allows near full speeds).  I've seen other routers tap out at 500 mbps.  Every router, switch and network card - even if gigabit - may not perform as expected or may have hardware or firmware limitations.  My current Asus router allows for about 950 mbps - maybe that is a router limit, maybe I am hitting the set max of my service.  The intel gb ethernet adapter in my workstation through a netgear gb switch over the lan through my Asus router through the gateway consistently gets just over 940 mbps - so that is my standard.   I have a USB gigabit ethernet dongle directly plugged into the gateway can give me different results in different computers - and even different results in different USB ports on the same computer (like consistently 400 mbps in one usb port, and 800+ in another usb port - but never the 940+ that my workstation gets)! 

That's how I knew immediately that there was a problem with the Pace 5268ac 11.1 firmware with DMZ+ (and then again with the 11.3 firmware) and how I know the BGW210 that I have now is working fine with IP passthrough

As for all the speedtest servers in the Houston area - I find the ATT one to be very consistent.  I assume that ATT makes sure that there are no bandwidth or hardware bottlenecks - but each of the other speedtest providers may or may not have the same philosophy or capabilities.  Once you start going outside of ATT Houston, you have no idea what kind of backhaul or hardware each of those providers is using - and if there is congestion in their backhaul or congestion in the broader internet.  In most cases, there's not even a guarantee that you are taking the same route each time you run the other speedtest providers.  I also find that most of the ones that are located in the same area as ATT - e.g. Comcast, CenturyLink are all pretty consistent - they are all in Greenspoint so it is just a short hop over from ATT to the other servers.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

Update:

After a lengthy conversation with AT&T reps they promised to mail me a newer version of the router.

Will re-run my tests again once I receive a box and share results with you here.

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

a year ago

Shocker, I know, but they lied to you.  There is no "newer version".  What they're going to send you is the older Pace 5268 gateway.  Since you aren't running your own router behind the AT&T gateway it's probably a toss up as to which of the two lousy gateways is preferred. I just hope this fixes your issue.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

Well, if not, will need to call in a technician so that they will troubleshoot the problem. Will keep everyone posted.

timbuk2okc

Scholar

• 

354 Messages

a year ago

Had the same issue, although I reached speeds of 920 consistently for 6-8 months. Didn't check speed for a long time until started noticing problems. Realized was only getting around 350, even hardwired.  2 Technician visits, could not resolve. They readily blame it all on our equipment, but I believe it's theirs.  One Lap Top (that previously couldn't)  was able to finally reach around 900 again, but the newest, gaming, highly capable laptop could not get above 350 hardwired.  Dropped the plan to the 300 Mbps so as to stop paying for speed they would no longer provide.  Now I have wifi issues.  WEAK signal. May have to eventually switch to the competition.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

a year ago

Update 09/04/2019:

I've receive a new device (BGW) and measured the speed for a couple of days again using the same script.

Results are here: https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/blob/master/Speed-Graph-9-04-19.png.png

Average Download Speed: 445 Mb/S

Mean Download Speed: 478 Mb/S

Looks like the problem is not resolved. Will request a technician to come over to investigate.

tonydi

Guru

• 

1.3K Messages

a year ago

I've receive a new device (BGW) and measured the speed for a couple of days again using the same script.

Wow, they shipped you a BGW?  You're the very first person to report getting a BGW from anywhere other than a truck visit.  Maybe they  finally got enough inventory.

I'm sorry that didn't fix your issue, however.

I don't see where you've ever posted that you tried the BGW's internal speed test.  Can you try that and post the results?  Go into the BGW's UI, to Diagnostics then to Speed Test.

Get started...

Ask a new question