Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Fri, Aug 23, 2019 3:51 PM

Fiber Speed is Way Below Advertised

I got Fiber more than a month ago and was worried about the speed and stability of the connection since then.

To quantify my concerns I wrote a script and kept it running on my server that is connected to ATT router directly with an ethernet cable with nothing in between.

Speed is measured continuously every 10 minutes with a command "curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python -"

This is a python script that selects the nearest service and measures the upload download speeds.

All my files with date/times and speed measurements are here: https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/tree/master/speed-reports

A report is accumulated in one file here: https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/blob/master/result.txt

Visualization is here: "https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/blob/master/Speed-Graph.png"

Question:

I understand that ATT is overselling its capacity and I will never be able to get up to 1 Gb/s, however, average download speed is 401Mb/s which is way more closer to non-fiber plans that are less expensive as well.

How could I share my stats with ATT and ask to fix the problem?

PS Happy to assist to measure your speed with the same approach if you need this help.

demichev gmail.com

Responses

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

7 months ago

Update 9/9/19

Last Fri a technician visited my home.

Outcome:

- I showed him my NAS that I am using to measure the speed. Tested the download speed - was about 560 Mb/S

- Showed him Laptops that connected with wire and another laptop with WIFI connection. Both laptops had 400-600 Mb/S but upload speeds were around 700 Mb/S

- Tech's comment on the situation was - CPU is not able to process this amount of traffic from a network card (total B>S, IMO)

- He connected his mobile device with a ethernet cable (sorry I cannot confirm that he did not connect to ATT via router or directly bypassing it, but he told me he used router) and showed me the test results which was about 900+ Mb/S

After that he concluded that all my devices have issues and only his handheld is a correct one.

Don't have any other way to prove that LAN interface on the router is functioning properly though.

His recommendation would be to get in touch with "IT department" to analyze the problem further.

Don't know what my next steps should be to be honest.

Probably waiting to Google Fiber to appear in our area since I did not see these issues before with the same equipment on Fiber before moving to current address.

tonydi

Guru

• 

534 Messages

7 months ago

Were you on gigabit fiber at your old address?

I wouldn't say his comment about CPU capability was bull because that certainly an issue in some situations.  But from what I can find online I think that Synology NAS is capable of full gig transfer speeds. Should be easy to prove/disprove.....run your speedtest script and look at the CPU usage on the NAS.  If it's maxing out and still giving you less than 600Mbps then he's right.

But I think we've talked about how some devices just don't play well with the AT&T gateway because of some oddity with their network chips and/or drivers. 

n2itus

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

7 months ago

@demichev I had a lot of struggles when I went from 250 mbps (Comcast cable) to 1 gbps (ATT fiber).  It brought out all the issues with my internal (non ATT) network, wireless and individual devices that I had never noticed before.  Not saying that it is your setup that is the problem, but at the same point, and from my own experience, it was my own internal setup that was the problem.  I can now get pretty much the same reading from a high powered workstation (in the 940s to 950s) on my internal network (with gb switches through separate router) as I can from the gateway speed test ... but, it wasn't that way from day 1. 

Part of the problem is that I had no way to guarantee that my internal devices and network were functioning as I expected - I had never gone that fast and had never verified any of my equipment and settings to work.  These are some of the frustrating steps that I went through:

1. Could not get more than 400 mbps from my laptop with gb USB nic (plugged directly into AT&T gateway)
    • found out that power savings mode was throttling the CPU - I disable power saving mode in the settings and was about to get nearly full speed.
    • CPU really can be a limiting factor - not necessarily B/S
  2. Went back later with the same laptop and could not get more than 400 mbps from my laptop with gb USB that I thought I fixed in step 1
    • I didn't think about this, but I had switched the NIC to a different USB port - so there is something in one of the USB ports causing it not be as quick as the other - they were both supposed to be USB 3 usb ports ...   
  3. Could not get get more that 350 mbps on wired nic on workstation. 
    • Bypassed router and switches and wired workstation directly to ATT gateway - was able to get 950s!  But limited to about 350 mbps when directly into router.
    • Googled and found out that DD-WRT firmware didn't support hardware acceleration of NAT (again a CPU issue - with out the hardware NAT, the software NAT via the CPU was limiting the throughput).  
    • Finally Switched back to OEM router firmware and was now able to get in the 950s from my wired NIC on my workstation from router (and through another switch)

It took me about a month to fully figure out #3.  And I got lucky that my wired workstation didn't have some other hardware, configuration or other limit.

So, I don't think the technician was pulling anything - I am inclined to believe his reading from his device.  Is there are way to validate any of your devices - to make sure they really are capable of gb speeds?  Or do you know someone that has gb speeds and is able to test to gb speeds so that you could test your nics with their equipment or vice versa?  You've got to get a known, proven standard that can get gb speeds that you can use to test - otherwise, you are not finding the root cause and have no guarantees that switching to Google Fiber or to another provider will do anything better.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 months ago

I'm having the same issue and even though the technician said, the problem is with the laptop. I'm still not convinced with that as upload speeds are upto 970mbps. Download speed is always half of the upload. If the problem was with the device then, upload speeds also would not reach there.

timbuk2okc

Scholar

• 

329 Messages

6 months ago

Same here, but I've researched until I'm exhausted in trying to determine why I got 920 down, 920 up and then I couldn't.

tonydi

Guru

• 

534 Messages

6 months ago

If the problem was with the device then, upload speeds also would not reach there.

@arnab14 

While that may seem logical, it's not necessarily true.  To overly simplify things, there are a lot of moving parts to a TCP/IP connection and some of those things may not work as well as others.  The problem is that with so many possibilities, it's really difficult to track down where the issue is.

I'm currently testing a new router and ran some speedtests on one of my laptops.  This laptop had regularly gotten over 300Mbps on a different router but it couldn't even get to 1/4 of that speed (see attached).  Since it used to go 300+ and the only thing that was different was the router, it couldn't be the laptop, right? 

Well, after changing a bunch of settings and still getting really poor speeds, I went out a grabbed a newer version of the drivers for the wifi chipset.

The top result was right after installing the drivers.

Wifi Speedtest After Drivers Update.JPG

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 months ago

I understand that but why would that same device work just fine on a different network like my office. In the office I'm getting the perfect speed 900 up and down. But at home I'm getting 400 down and 900 up. Looks like more of a ISP issue than my laptop.

I'm gonna move to a different ISP. I don't think ATT is the one for me.

tonydi

Guru

• 

534 Messages

6 months ago

About the office connection vs home....both AT&T Fiber, both using the same gateway, both gateways on the same firmware version?

Even if everything seems to be "identical" that may not actually be the case. Many users who were having speed issues with, say, the BGW210, had the gateway replaced with the same exact model and their problems went away. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 months ago

How do you convince them to give you another modem?  What’s the special verbiage?  Otherwise they’ll mess around and troubleshoot for hours and hours

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 months ago

The office one is Comcast business. I'm thinking about switching to Spectrum myself.

And they replaced the router twice already.

Now they said they'll send a person but it'll cost me 99 USD. So I have to pay extra for fixing something which I am already paying for every month. This is ridiculous!!!!

timbuk2okc

Scholar

• 

329 Messages

6 months ago

I just told them about my problem and requested a different unit... they brought one out with them and ran some tests.

• 

1 Message

any updates from anyone? We are in a similar position. 3rd gateway (pace replaced with a pace and them blaming the lack of firmware update on the last- to BGW) with a tech bringing it out but clueless and the tech support on the phone not able to help the tech out. He suggested to call back and schedule another tech to come out. 🤷🏻‍♀️

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…