For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
demichev's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2019 3:51 PM

Fiber Speed is Way Below Advertised

I got Fiber more than a month ago and was worried about the speed and stability of the connection since then.

To quantify my concerns I wrote a script and kept it running on my server that is connected to ATT router directly with an ethernet cable with nothing in between.

Speed is measured continuously every 10 minutes with a command "curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python -"

This is a python script that selects the nearest service and measures the upload download speeds.

All my files with date/times and speed measurements are here: https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/tree/master/speed-reports

A report is accumulated in one file here: https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/blob/master/result.txt

Visualization is here: "https://github.com/demichev78/att-speed/blob/master/Speed-Graph.png"

Question:

I understand that ATT is overselling its capacity and I will never be able to get up to 1 Gb/s, however, average download speed is 401Mb/s which is way more closer to non-fiber plans that are less expensive as well.

How could I share my stats with ATT and ask to fix the problem?

PS Happy to assist to measure your speed with the same approach if you need this help.

demichev gmail.com

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

If the problem was with the device then, upload speeds also would not reach there.

@arnab14 

While that may seem logical, it's not necessarily true.  To overly simplify things, there are a lot of moving parts to a TCP/IP connection and some of those things may not work as well as others.  The problem is that with so many possibilities, it's really difficult to track down where the issue is.

I'm currently testing a new router and ran some speedtests on one of my laptops.  This laptop had regularly gotten over 300Mbps on a different router but it couldn't even get to 1/4 of that speed (see attached).  Since it used to go 300+ and the only thing that was different was the router, it couldn't be the laptop, right? 

Well, after changing a bunch of settings and still getting really poor speeds, I went out a grabbed a newer version of the drivers for the wifi chipset.

The top result was right after installing the drivers.

Wifi Speedtest After Drivers Update.JPG

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I understand that but why would that same device work just fine on a different network like my office. In the office I'm getting the perfect speed 900 up and down. But at home I'm getting 400 down and 900 up. Looks like more of a ISP issue than my laptop.

I'm gonna move to a different ISP. I don't think ATT is the one for me.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

About the office connection vs home....both AT&T Fiber, both using the same gateway, both gateways on the same firmware version?

Even if everything seems to be "identical" that may not actually be the case. Many users who were having speed issues with, say, the BGW210, had the gateway replaced with the same exact model and their problems went away. 

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

5 years ago

How do you convince them to give you another modem?  What’s the special verbiage?  Otherwise they’ll mess around and troubleshoot for hours and hours

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

The office one is Comcast business. I'm thinking about switching to Spectrum myself.

And they replaced the router twice already.

Now they said they'll send a person but it'll cost me 99 USD. So I have to pay extra for fixing something which I am already paying for every month. This is ridiculous!!!!

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

5 years ago

I just told them about my problem and requested a different unit... they brought one out with them and ran some tests.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.