Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
zarberg's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, August 8th, 2019 5:42 PM

Fiber outage

A little preamble; I've been in IT for 25+ years, many years ago focusing on networking, so I know the basics of how this stuff all works.

My AT&T fiber Internet went out Tuesday afternoon, a big deal for me because I work from home. This is the 2nd time that's happened in the last month, previously the gateway died. I did a hard reset on both the fiber transceiver and the gateway (fiber transceiver by turning on/off with toggle switch and keeping off for 60 seconds, gateway by unplugging for 60 seconds). Same result; I get power light, data light, and then the alarm light comes on red.

Since I do work from home, I called right away to report an outage and within 15 minutes noticed other people in the neighborhood complaining on nextdoor.com about AT&T internet being down. Yesterday I see an AT&T truck at a neighbor's house and he mentions that the entire street is down, and that it's a problem on their end. This morning my appointment with the AT&T tech is scheduled for 8:30 and no one shows up. I get a text that the network outage is fixed and it asks if I am still broken, to which I respond that I am. I now have another appointment scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

Meanwhile, I'm using tethering on my phone for work and I'm racking up the data.

I'm rather upset at the level of customer service; to send me a text that basically says "we fixed the data outage and we're cancelling your appointment" without actually checking to see if I was fixed is about as careless and incompetent as it gets. Finally, I had to ASK the customer service rep that I talked to about getting a refund for the days I don't have service. I hated Time Warner, but they at least voluntarily offered refunds when there were outages.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Also, the tech tried to blame this on Google Fiber trenching, but they did that over a month ago; at this point I can't wait for Google to start their service so I have other options.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I'm in the same boat but mine has been going out everyday from 5:30-10 PM since 8/9/2019, had a tech out here this morning. replaced the small white box on the wall and still went down at 5:30 PM while working from home...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.