Pre-order the New Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 & Galaxy Z Fold4 and, for a limited time, get twice the storage and a free case!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
johannesk's profile

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Jun 28, 2022 5:52 PM

Fiber modem reboots every day

I love my 1G fiber, but the last few weeks it has started rebooting itself every day. Running a connectivity logger on one of my computers, I can see that the reboot is happening extremely predictable - every 25h8m7s. 

I can predict almost to the second when my internet will go down.

There is no way hardware can be this precise, so I assuming it’s a firmware problem. And the firmware I have now is not the same as when I got the router, so I strongly assume this is related to my current firmware. 

Anyone else experienced this, or have suggestions on what to do?

Router: BGW320-500

Firmware: 3.17.5

(I’m running the router in pass-through mode to a separate WiFi Router)

Customer service assured me that they had done some fixes to my configuration, and it would not happen again, but it went down, as clockwork, exactly to the second predicted, so they obviously don’t know what they were doing.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

6.1K Messages

1分前

Yours is not the first report of this type of "clockwork" behavior we've seen in here. 

One or two have said a replacement gateway fixed their issue but others said it didn't. 

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the BGW?  That has proven to fix all sorts of weirdness we've seen with it.

What is the third party router you've got connected?

And you're spot on in your assessment of the phone/chat CSRs.  🙄

• 

2 Messages

1分前

+1 - Exact same issue, very similar configuration. I'm also in concurrence that it is almost definitely a firmware problem.

One caveat: I'm in the unique scenario that the buried street > home line was severed on Monday, which the tech replaced with a temporary over-ground until they can send another team who does the in-ground within a week or two.

I was originally thinking it was related to that, maybe the temp line had a signal/connection problem, or was connected to the distribution point at the street differently and causing a config issue on the uplink end.

I also noticed my firmware version had changed after the service appointment. I don't recall what it was previously, but I noticed 3.17.5 as being different. Now, after having seen a number of very similar issues reported here, I'm thinking it's likely that after performing the repair, the tech ran his standard diagnostics, which I imagine also pushes the latest firmware.

Possible resolution: (unconfirmed theory)

I was actually led to this thread after just experiencing the issue at 12:40 AM CT (06/30), and noticed the device had rebooted and firmware has again been updated and is now on 3.18.5. I can say definitely it was .17 prior to the reboot.

Here's to hoping that fixes it? And for others experiencing the issue, try restarting to see if it'll go automatically, and if not, probably worth chatting support and requesting a push.

If I remember, I'll post updates over the next few days... on the flip, if I don't remember, that means the issue didn't recur. So if you haven't heard from me by Saturday, probably safe to assume I made it >1 day :p

(edited)

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

6.1K Messages

1分前

Wow, you win the prize for the first reported sighting of this FW update for the BGW320!

🍻  (you'll need two in case you're unlucky and it actually breaks something)

Not clear what you want "support" to push?

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

1分前

Don't know if it's still the case, but I know with my old BGW210, firmware updates didn't necessarily always pull automatically. But support could force a push (or provide the file) in the event it was needed. If that's no longer the case then ignore that bit and reboot away!

I might also be misremembering... my 210 wasn't plugged in very often after I, uh, "borrowed" a few files for the Ubiquiti gateway 😉

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

6.1K Messages

1分前

Oh ok, no, the FW is released on some sort of automated schedule the spaces the release out so as not to break everyone's gateway at one time! 😁 Usually happens in the middle of the night.

What you're remembering is back when you could actually download and install the FW files if they hadn't been pushed to your gateway yet.  Or downgrade to a previous version if the new one broke something.  You can't do that anymore, even if you had access to older versions.

• 

2 Messages

23日前

I finally reset my modem yesterday around 11am. I re-applied all my settings (which include setting it to IP Passthrough mode, enabling remote access, and turning off all WiFi; since I am connecting it to an existing WiFi router). 

Then this morning, I realized that it had rebooted around midnight (13h later) and reset all my settings to default again.

I re-applied this morning and will continue to monitor it!

Need help?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.