Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Jan 15, 2020 12:29 AM

Fiber internet peering issues

Is AT&T planning on fixing the peering issue it has with Google?

Had 3 techs come out, they couldn’t figure out why it wasn’t working. Everything was replaced, nothing was fixed.

My streaming content on youtube and commercials from apps like the CW drops in quality and sometimes times out. This is unacceptable.

Hey AT&T peeps. Search for AT&T Fiber Google Peering and you’ll see that others are having the same issue. I’d like to either have this issue resolved or would like some form of rebate. I am not getting what I’m supposed to be paying for.

Edit - 24JAN2020

After tweeting everyone about this (BBB, AT&T, Google, multiple tech publications, etc) and filling out a report with the BBB, AT&T is giving me $10 off every month for a year and a one time $20 credit on my account. They know the issue exists and they cannot seem to fix it. Not the outcome I was looking for... but that extra $10 a month can go towards a VPN so the service can work as it should. Ridiculous but it is what it is.

Responses

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

I just got fiber installed a couple weeks ago and am having the same issue.

I can download a 10GB file in under two minutes, but if I want to stream something on YouTube, it's a different story. All Google services (Search, YouTube, YouTube TV, Play Music, etc) run very slow at times. Slow to the point where streaming music buffers and thumbnails barely load. If I connect to my VPN, everything runs without buffering/slowness.

Agree this seems to be a peering issue that needs to be fixed.

SuperMario87

Employee

• 

234 Messages

a month ago

Open guest network in your gateway and connect the google, smart tv, firestick, ps4 or xbox to the guest network. Leave smartphones, laptop pc at the normal network. Everything should work ok after it

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

3 Messages

@SuperMario87 just curious what using the guest network will do to improve this issue? In my case it is not due to network congestion and the channel is optimally set for 5ghz using a respected Wi-Fi analyzer. I have disabled 2.4ghz and IPV6, and now use a VPN on my main network. Seems to be working well. Based on many, many comments and videos online about this matter, I am left to assume that AT&T must be throttling video streaming from YouTube. Amazon Prime streams without buffering at all, while YouTube quality went up and down before I made the changes listed above.

(edited)

• 

12 Messages

I’m having the same issue.

Standing next to wireless router (with non congested channel) and not using vpn: Buffering

Using vpn: No Buffering

• 

4 Messages

@ATTCares...Is there anything AT&T can do about this? It is not an issue with gateways or wifi. Many people have reported issues with Google services being slow. Just wondering if using a VPN will be my permanent fix, which it shouldn't have to be. I've been using my VPN on my Rokus for the past week and I am able to watch YouTube TV all day with no buffering or downgrading of video. It should be this way without having to use a VPN.

From the past few weeks:

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-fiber-installation/slow-loading-speeds/5e2263f8c17a0604135f5498

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-fiber-equipment/youtube-video-quality-on-wifi/5e1d6b104d24af661ac42ca4

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-fiber-account/not-able-to-watch-youtube-without-vpn-active/5e1c89a6e50819775e61a110

• 

12 Messages

Here are the speeds I get while not using a VPN

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

@ATTCares...Still having issues here. It just took three minutes to download a 4MB jpeg from Google Photos on my desktop (wired)!

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

I'm having the same issue in Knoxville, TN and have been for many months. Fully hardwired gigabit ethernet network, speed tests are great, youtube streams on multiple machines (all hardwired, 1000Mbps) buffer or load slowly. Wifi is the same result.

If I connect to a VPN, the same videos work flawlessly for hours.

I don't know if this is a peering issue as much as AT&T throttling/QoS/traffic shaping, but will check out the other threads referenced in this discussion to learn more.