AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
L

• 

4 Messages

Fri, Sep 25, 2020 5:31 PM

Fiber internet but less than 100 mbps speed

I have AT&T's Fiber Internet Plan but speed is never better than 100 mbps.
I've tested speed at att.com/speedtest and also used google's fiber speed test.
Just now test results:

ping 14

download 95 mbps

upload 94.3 mbps

This is on computer Win 10 google chrome with cat 6 ethernet cable.

I reported this last week, AT&T sent me a new router and still exact same problem.
On the router the lights are green. 

On my Win 10 laptop, using WIFI, the speeds are half that of the PC.

What now? 

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I'm talking about speed on my desktop PC which is connected by ethernet cable 

and my laptop which is an older model.

So even if my laptop has a limit, can you explain why my Desktop PC can't get more than 100 mbps via cat 6 ethernet cable?

And shouldn't the modem lights be an amber color if fiber? 
Verses green? 

Please advise and thanks.  

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Check the cable connections for the cat5e line that comes from the outside. It is possible the installer only spliced 2 out of the 4 cat5e line pairs to the line that connects to your modem. Gigabit needs all 4 pairs to be connected to get gigabit speeds. 

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Internet speed Will never be static. If you are suscribe to 100 mbps, You can have between 86 and 120 mbps is normal and is going to be always like this. Is within parameters

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

.@Superchin - how do I check the cable connections for the cat5e line that comes from the outside? 

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.9K Messages

2 years ago

Use the link dave006 gave you. It will tell you what speed your gateway is getting, then check from the device you are using. Post your results. 

What speed plan are you paying for?

100, 300 or 1000?

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I used the link provided by dave006.  
This is for my desktop PC, Win 10 connected to router by ethernet cable, not wifi. Using Cat 6 cable. 
I'm paying for AT&T Internet 1000

Router info:
BGW210-700  and underneath that the date 10/13/2018
*This router was a replacement sent to me a few months ago after I reported slow internet to AT&T.  It did not change anything.

• 

44 Messages

2 years ago

I have exactly the same issue using 2 different laptops and a desktop. All on ethernet get about 94mbps on wifi about 20mbps. One of the laptops will get about 300mbps using Microsoft browser but via wifi only. All mobile phones get about 300mbps. The same results after changing router.

• 

44 Messages

2 years ago

By the way, I am paying for 1000mbps and the technicians meter shows that coming in and going out.

• 

44 Messages

2 years ago

Your technician took HIS ethernet cable and connected it directly to my router and into his meter. The meter showed 1000mbps. We then disconnected the ethernet cable from his meter and plugged the same cable directly into my laptop and got 94mbps. We were using Speedtest.net.

• 

44 Messages

2 years ago

There seems to be something in the router that is limiting my devices. I have an ethernet port plugged into the router and it shows that it is receiving 1000mbps according to your router device manager but all other devices show to be 100mbps.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.