For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
V

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, October 29th, 2020 2:32 AM

Fiber 1000 Speed Problems (Yes let's beat that dead horse, shall we?)

Am I on par with what others are seeing, or is something amiss? I'm in Houston and on my 3rd 5268 AC, which seems to be the only router they're willing to send me.

Speed Tests:

straight off the modem diagnostics: 998.695 up, 889.447 down (seems great!)

speedtest.net tests:

wired imac: 600.33 up, 887.81 down (seems good but not great considering the above)

wifi same imac, 3ft from router: 124.34 up, 168.65 down

wifi macbook pro, 25ft away: 228.28 up, 183.69 down

wifi iphone 8 plus, 25ft away: 247 up, 200 down

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

80 Messages

3 years ago

Depending on the client, WiFi can be very fast. My Galaxy Note 20 Ultra has an AX capable radio and I'm hooked up with an Asus GT-AX11000 tri-band router. I typically get 850mb/s on WiFi6 on my phone. My laptop on the other hand only has an AC radio and can't manage more than 450 mb/s. So client ability and radios have a lot to do with speeds.

Your wired speeds seem good to me. There will be overhead on TCP/IP so you probably will never see what the modem is testing at. What sort of cable are you using? Cat5e will support gig but it's always better to use something thicker like 6 or 6a.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

WiFi is extremely slower than Ethernet 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Is that an “in general, WiFi is extremely slower than Ethernet” or specific to my results? Yes I know WiFi is much slower than Ethernet but is it that much slower? I know I’ve seen other WiFi speed tests putting download speeds above 300 and sometimes even higher. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.