Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet

AT&T related help: Learn about Wi-Fi extenders

MPDano's profile

3 Messages

Friday, April 19th, 2024 4:07 PM

Extender Options

Hello all, Are there non ATT wireless extenders that work with the BGW320 Modem/Router? I thought I saw a list somewhere but can no longer find it. Thanks, Leo

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

29 days ago

Yes, there are non-AT&T extenders that work with the AT&T Gateway, but there is no list of such as AT&T doesn't officially support any.  Choose an extender from a reputable name brand (Netgear, ASUS, TP-Link) and you should be fine.  I will also say that since the Wi-Fi on the Gateway is not all that good, adding an extender which will depend on connecting to the AT&T gateway's Wi-Fi may not be the answer to your situation. 

I would instead suggest that you get an access point (i.e. something you can connect to the Gateway with an Ethernet cable) or an extender that has wired-backhaul (which means that it's acting as an Access Point and not really an Extender) and connect it using a cable.  This will normally give you a better solution than just throwing an extender at the problem.   Also, if you have a large home you can get a Mesh system to handle all the Wi-Fi needs and connect it to the Gateway.

If your home is such that you cannot run Ethernet to the remote area that needs better Wi-Fi connectivity, then I would simply remind you that the Extender must be placed in such a way that it is in a good coverage area from the Gateway so that it can communicate with it, and can extend the Wi-Fi further out from that point to where it needs to be improved.  Too many people try to place the extender out where there is poor Wi-Fi coverage (because that's where they need better Wi-Fi) and the situation is not improved because the extender struggles to link up to the Gateway.  Perhaps place the Extender half or two-thirds the distance from the Gateway to the problem area.  If your situation is that you have a multi-story home and a floor away from the Gateway has an issue, this is a very tough nut to crack.  There are solutions, but I won't stretch out this post unless that applies to you.

(edited)

3 Messages

27 days ago

Yes, was able to connect a dlink I think and it was OK.  It also can act as an AP so I might go that route.   Thank for the reply 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

24 days ago

I have an ATT extender that was hooked up to my original fiber modem via ethernet cable. I upgraded to 5ghz fiber and the extender stopped working. Got the flashing green light syndrom. I talked with tech support. Followed all their instructions and nothing. They finally told me that the extender was not compatible with the new modem. Only solution from them was getting a new etender  from AT&T for 10 dollars a month for as long as I have it. So question is, which source besides AT&T Extender would anyone recommend that is compatible with the 5gz fiber modem?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.5K Messages

23 days ago

Pretty much any wireless extender from a reputable company (TP-link, Netgear, D-Link, ASUS) should work. 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

23 days ago

Just to add a little more, I’ve personally never had success using extender specific devices.  A proper wifi system with satellites that can run in access point mode as was suggested earlier is a proper way to go.  More advanced power users can configure the device for use in IP passthrough, but generally not required for most.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.