Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
E

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, April 18th, 2021 5:16 AM

Ethernet wall jack isn't working

They told me I was able to have access to 4 wall connections. I couldn't connect to through my desktop, in fact, my desktop doesn't think the jack exists. As if my cord was connected to nothing. At first I thought that my computer's ethernet port might be fried, but after testing it with an extender it looks like the wall jack is either dead or just not activated? Is there a way for my to able to reboot manually? Or am I going to have to wait for a technician to come out and see.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

3 years ago

AT&T techs make one jack work anything beyond that you need to hire a local low voltage company to connect your Ethernet jacks 

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

3 years ago

Where is the gateway? In the wiring closet or in one of the rooms with ethernet connection?

The gateway has to be at the wiring closet to connect various rooms, this wiring should have been performed by whoever wired the rooms. Generally the same company that wired the electric outlets. 

If this is an apartment or condo unit recommend talking to the building maintenance department to rewire or schedule someone to complete the wiring.

As stated the ATT installer would connect a single line to the gateway either at the point of wire center or in a room. 

My question is who told you you would have access to the 4 wall connections? It is also possible the wiring for the jacks is incorrect... another poster here on the forum within past 30 days had similar issue where 2 jacks where incorrect by whoever did all the wiring initially. 

ATT tech dispatch would be $99 service call with potential $55 of material charges for total bill of $154 plus tax. 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

The tech that did the installation was the one who told me about the 4 jacks. It is an apartment and the gateway is in the closet. I called tech support earlier and they said that was something on their end, something about broadband not being received/sent therefore the jacks weren’t signaling anything? 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

Post a picture of your network closet. Including the Ethernet cables. Are they terminated, connected to the gateway? What are the status lights on the gateway? Model gateway? Can wireless devices connect to the gateway WiFi? Is the ONT connected to the gateway? Fiber direct to the gateway?

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

10 months ago

These people are terrible. I just moved into a connected complex that has fiber. While I'm not new to att fiber in an apt, I am new to this connected community (Edited per community guidelines), they have. So all you do is call a number and they turn it up right over the phone. Got that done two weeks ago (5/23). WiFi worked so/so. I su(Edited per community guidelines)cribed to 2Gbps, wifi only pulls down about 300-400Mbps on my Note 20u.

Fast forward to today June 5th 2023, I tried plugging an Ethernet cable to the wall jack since I'm ready to start using a physical system in my Office...no juice... What!

I called and had it out with these ghouls. Tech support guy was nice, but I let him have it. By the time it was all said and done, I had an appointment, with all of these willy nilly $99.00 charges removed.

I will file as many FCC complaints as I have to against these companies, since they want to play this stupid (Edited per community guidelines) in America. There's no way you're going to change me a full months service when the service doesn't even work how it is supposed to...wall jack is hard wired... not with the modem in the wall behind a locked box. If that's the case, let me snatch the (Edited per community guidelines) modem out of the nid and plug it into the RJ 45 in the wall.

You're not charging me $110 for a 2Gbps wireless connection. Fix this (Edited per community guidelines)!

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

10 months ago

Update 06/08/2023:

So the tech came out today and none of the Cat 5e ethernet cables that leads to all 4 jacks in the apartment were connected in the ONT. How do you like that? And then had the nerve to charge money for something I had no part in designing or engineering, but I have to pay for AT&T to do their job. And on top of that pay for a full month of service for something that did not work from the jump. The guy was nice enough to only charge $55.00 for two jacks to be connected, though, so he says. Sheesh! I am writing an FCC complaint about this. NO more CS over the phone to the Philippines.

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.2K Messages

10 months ago

Add does not wire the jacks, that would be on whoever was hired to install the wiring, generally the electrical contractor. I would suggest talking to your building management to have them go to each unit and make all connections, something they did not do when performing inspection of work. 

ATT instant on is fiber from main point to the panel, jack and gateway installed. done all connection will be wireless unless the owner of the building has paid the electrical contractor to complete/ terminate wiring as they are the ones who installed the Ethernet wiring not ATT.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.