#1 Star!
The 5th element!
10th stratosphere!

• 

17 Messages

Wed, Dec 29, 2021 7:38 PM

Easier/User-Friendliest way to hook up Mesh WiFi System

Good day to all,

Been awaiting full set up of my internet which will involve utilizing a BGW-320. We were gifted a Wifi Mesh system by Eero Pro and would like to use instead of AT&T's factory equipment. We have multiple family members working from home at odd ends of the house, and needed the broader coverage device.

While, I am not well-versed in internet, WiFi, etc. device lingo, I am a quick learner. I have tried researching the other forums/posts, and see a lot of other similar inquiries, but while following the threads, the waters get very muddy and complicated....fast.

Is there a super straightforward and easy way to utilize this mesh system, while still maximizing the gb speeds I am signed up for?

Thought maybe hooking the mesh system just through an ethernet to one of the ports in the back of the BGW-320, but not sure if there would be slow down and congestion, when just "plug n' playing" it this way.

Been trying to see if the whole IP passthrough and/or bridge mode would work, I won't be able to do the nitty-gritty on settings yet until they full activate and get me up and running.

Just trying to be prepared, so that there will be little to no down time between set ups.

Hoping experts can chime in and lead me with a straightforward process?

Tonydi? Jeffermc?

I truly value your knowledge in this topic from all the prior posts.

Again, trying to find the smoothest process that will let me use my equipment and maximize the speeds available to me. If setting screens need to be updated, I can update once the tech comes to get us up and running (we are coming from a different provider).

Thanks!

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

4.1K Messages

1 m ago

Setup the eero as an access point. Should involve connecting the main eero unit to the gateway via an Ethernet cable and the other eero units connecting to it.  Most mesh systems have smart phone apps that set up the system for you. Ask the tech for help. No guarantee that he can help but it’s worth asking. 

Try setting up the eero on your current system as practice for when you get att service. 

Bdubz89

• 

17 Messages

1 m ago

Thanks brown, I have already familiarized myself with eero set up, seems straightforwardly easy.

But just plugging the initial eero into the router, seems too good to be true. I know there is a 5gb port back there in blue. But you don't think there will be any slow down of speeds connecting like this?

ATTHelp

Community Support

• 

180.3K Messages

1 m ago

Hey Bdubz89, we understand that you have questions related to connecting your mesh network to your router. We're here to help.

Plugging in your mesh network shouldn't affect your internet speeds.

•  We suggest that you try using IP-Passthrough to get your mesh network connected. IP-Passthrough will help with making your mesh network an access point as stated by the ACE.

Please let us know if that works for you.

Charles, AT&T Community Forums

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

2.4K Messages

1 m ago

The advice @browndk26 provided is the easier way although it looks like you still have to muck around with the eero settings. 

The downside is that you lose a number of eero features if you do that.  Eero outlines what you give up....

• Family Profiles
  • eero Secure
  • eero Labs
  • Device bandwidth usage details
  • Device blocking
  • Advanced network settings management through the eero app
  • Automatic Channel Selection (ACS), which also disables DFS
  • Apple HomeKit

If any of those things are important to you, I'd say go with IP Passthrough, which as ATTHelp Charles incorrectly claimed, does NOT make your mesh network an access point.

Bdubz89

• 

17 Messages

1 m ago

Thanks @tonydi 

We actually just set up the eero for a test run with our current provider. We have a free trial of the eero features. The features are quite awesome to see and monitor, but I don't think it would be something I'd flip out over, if I lost out on them.

I also actually stumbled across eero's support website where they have detailed instructions specific to AT&T for IP passthrough and bridge mode. I am surprised they have such detailed instructions.

But if I am understanding correctly, are these correct below???:

-IP Passthrough - This is disabling the AT&T device's Wifi network, but will leave me with full functions/features with the eero - This seems heavy in detailed instructions with a lot more complicated steps, based on the link AT&T Charles provided

-Bridge mode - Browndk26's method which allows me to basically use the eero for connectivity, but the traffic and routing all still get managed through the AT&T device? I have to change basic settings on the eero, and would lose out on eero specific features

Does that all sound about right? And neither method would cause reduction or limitations on speed?(if that is what AT&T Charles is hinting at)

Trying to weigh my options.....if neither impact speed, I may heavily consider brown's/bridge mode as losing eero features seems worth the ease of setting up everything.

(edited)

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

2.4K Messages

25 d ago

The IP Passthrough process isn't difficult, seems about the same amount of effort as enabling bridge mode on the eero. Essentially you log into the BGW, go to a specific page and find the eero in the list of attached devices.  Select it, do a Save and then let it restart the BGW.  I've found that sometimes you have to restart the BGW a second time or even restart the third party router (eero in your case) for everything to sync up.  We usually recommend disabling the wifi on the BGW so as not to conflict or cause confusion.  So that's on a different page of the BGW's UI and a couple of clicks.

I can't predict what the speeds will be like in either mode, too many variables, so you'll have to pick one, try it and see if it meets your expectations.  If not, try the other.

dave006

Scholar

• 

2.7K Messages

25 d ago

@Bdubz89 

IP/Passthrough mode has nothing to do with Wi-Fi mode. It just allows you to share your public DHCP address from your AT&T Modem with your eero system.h

But if I am understanding correctly, are these correct below???:

-IP Passthrough - This is disabling the AT&T device's Wifi network, but will leave me with full functions/features with the eero.

IP/Passthrough does not disable Wi-FI settings on your BGW320. It is a manual process on the following page: Advanced Options ( it is a little hidden)

http://192.168.2.1/cgi-bin/wconfig.ha

This is the page where you disable your Wi-Fi settings on your BGW320 to reduce interference from having 2 different Wi-Fi routers competing in the same Wi-Fi spectrum. You just need to disable the 3 Wi-Fi settings: 2.4 GHz,  5 GHz and your "Other" Wi-Fi for Guest access.

Here is a good overview of eero documentation for IP/Passthrough mode on the BGW320. Once you disable the 3 radios just scroll down and remember to click the 'Save..." bottom of the Wi-Fi page to save the radio settings as disabled.

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207988076-Setting-up-eero-with-AT-T-U-verse

Yes you will send all your eero traffic through a single 1 Gbps port but you will not notice the difference in performance. You can only use 1 port at a time and the 5 Gbps port is not supported by the eeros system  (Blue band and blue Ethernet port),

Dave

Bdubz89

• 

17 Messages

20 d ago

Great, thanks for the clarity @tonydi & @dave006 .

We have the technician coming out tomorrow to get the internet itself up and running. Researching the IP passthrough directions so I am ready.

For my set up, which steps should I follow for IP Passthrough?

https://www.att.com/support/smallbusiness/article/smb-internet/KM1188700/

Seems like there are directions for:

-Motorola NVG 510 & 589

-Dynamic DHCPS

-Fixed DHCPS

-Manual

-2wire/Pace Gateways

Not sure which the BGW RG falls into??

Bdubz89

• 

17 Messages

20 d ago

Additionally, if the Dynamic/Fixed steps are the ones I need, is there any benefit to either or? Not sure when you would do one vs the other?

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

2.4K Messages

20 d ago

The BGW uses the instructions for the Motorola.  Some day, hopefully in my lifetime, AT&T will update their web pages. 🙄

Use DHCPS-fixed.

The Dynamic option will let the BGW decide which device to passthrough to.  I'm sure there's some situation where that is useful but it escapes me at the moment.

Fixed and Manual end up at the same spot but with manual you are required to do some of the configuration and with Fixed it should do the work for you (should being the operative term).

Bdubz89

• 

17 Messages

20 d ago

That made me laugh @tonydi

I think I have a good grasp of the directions ahead of me. I am trying to plan all this out on paper, as I am trying to have all the eeros wired together.

If the main eero is connected to let's say ethernet port #1 on the RG, and we set up IP Passthrough on it, can the remaining ethernet ports on the RG still function?

The eero only has two ethernet ports, so on the main eero, the first port will connect to the RG, with the other port connecting to the next eero. We are hoping to plug in a streaming device, but with the two eero ports used on the device, can we just plug this into the open additional ports on the RG? Or will this not work/cause havoc?

AT&T's directions say only one device can be put into passthrough, but it does not mention if the other ethernet ports on the RG will still function or be accessible to use.

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

2.4K Messages

20 d ago

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week, try the veal and don't forget to tip your waiter.

Yes, the Ethernet ports on the BGW will continue to work although be aware that they're going to be on a different network than the eero-connected devices.  So you wouldn't want anything like your streaming device that needs to connect with devices running through the eero.

Also, some users have reported weird issues when plugged into the BGW's blue port (1, 2.5 and 5 gigabit capability) so if you do run into issues, try one of the other three.

Bdubz89

• 

17 Messages

20 d ago

@tonydi   A technician actually came out tonight right before the end of the business day. He helped get the BGW up and running and was amazing.

I just set up the IP passthrough for the eero. Seems to be running smoothly.

Just some closing questions for you:

-When I went through the IP passthrough steps, there was no "restart" option at the end. I restarted everything manually (both the RG and the eero) and both came back online with no issue. But there was no gratifying "Confirmation" that everything was set up right. I hope it was indeed correct...

-This is what is showing under "firewall"

-Packet Filter: On

-IP Passthrough: On

-NAT Default Server: Off

-Firewall Advanced: On

-Does this is all look correct?? Not sure if I need to look anywhere else to confirm

-When Disabling the 2g & 5g bands on the RG, there were two additional "Home SSID" options, but I could not toggle those off. I assume it is irrelevant? Looking back at the main device screen, the 2g & 5g bands show disabled. Just not sure what the Home SSID was for.

-Did some speed tests (eero is hooked up through the blue 5gb port)

-Iphone getting ~400 mbps

-Work laptop getting ~20 mbps

-Haven't tried any other devices....but does this seem good? I just don't have a baseline to know what speeds things should be at. Just seems like so much is being left on the table, being gb internet, but I also assume the limitations are with the devices themselves. Unless I had some sort of gb device that could really take advantage of full speeds, maybe I will never know.

-And just prepping for future troubleshooting - but if the blue 5gb gives issues....when you say unplug from that port and plug the eero in a different port on the RG....will I need to go through all the IP passthrough steps again? Or will it still recognize the eero device and settings previously changed?

You've been awesome so far. I appreciate all the hand holding you've given thus far.

(edited)

tonydi

ACE - Guru

• 

2.4K Messages

19 d ago

Everything looks right as far as the settings go, but the work laptop speed isn't right.  I presume that's wifi and not wireless, right?

What is the make/model of the laptop?

I don't have any hands-on experience with the eero system.  Does it have different  SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands or does it have one SSID and the system and your devices work out the "best" band for them to connect to?

The Home SSID Enable setting doesn't matter since the radios are disabled.

Being on the blue port shouldn't be the reason for the laptop issue since the iPhone seems to do around the expected speeds.  If both were really slow then I'd say move the eero to another port.  And yes, you can just swap it to another port on the BGW and the IP Passthrough will continue to work because it's looking for the hardware (MAC) address you entered into the BGW.  It may require you to reboot the BGW and eero, not sure.

Bdubz89

• 

17 Messages

19 d ago

Thanks @tonydi 

Yes, my specific eero system is triband, but they don't allow you to break out the different SSID's and alter them in any way. I assume it's part of eero's desire to have the "seamless" coverage, and make it user friendly.

And correct. ~20mbps was over wifi for the laptop. It's a Dell Lattitude 5490.

I retested speeds for the laptop while connected to the furthermost eero device - the one connected all the way on the back end, I figured this could be the worst case scenario, since it technically needs to connect all the way back through the other eeros, then to the gateway eero, then into the RG (if my train of thought is actually correct).

Wifi to last eero: 15-20mbps

Wired to the last eero: 18-21mbps

Maybe it's just my laptop? Granted it's a work laptop, maybe it has less than stellar settings or something limiting it.

I am going to try testing same scenario with my personal laptop to confirm.

Oddly enough, I also had to unplug the RG and the eero devices at different times to start placing them and moving them into their permanent spots.

When one of the systems went down, the eero's WAN IP address no longer matched the one assigned for IP passthrough. It would seem like the eero would maybe default or regenerate its own. I would confirm this by logging into the Smart Home Manager app, seeing that the eero device should have the specific IP address for passthrough, and noticing that they no longer matched.

However, resetting the eero's after the RG was up and running, fixed it. The eeros went back to the specified IP address for the passthrough. So I will need to make mental notes, that if one system goes down or resets, that I will need to reset the eeros after the RG is up and running again.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.