Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
jgranberry1's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 4:31 PM

Download speed drop off with Arris BGW210-700>third party router>PC with wired connection

I had AT&T Fiber installed recently.  I have the Arris BGW210-700 and am using a third party router (Netgear XR500) behind the gateway, which is connected to Port 1 via a Cat6 cable.  The speed test I just ran within the gateway interface yielded 969/949 mbps of download and upload speeds.  However, when I run a speed test on my PC, that is connected via a Cat6 cable to my router, I get 380/942 mbps of download and upload speed.  I get a similar result when I run a speedtest within the router interface.  So the upload speed received from the gateway is full speed but there is a large dropoff in the download speed.  Any idea why this is the case?  Below are the settings I have.

These are the changes I made to the gateway settings at setup:

• Firewall Tab
    • Packet Filter - Disabled Packet Filtering
    • IP Passthrough:
      • Allocation Mode - Passthrough
      • Passthrough Mode - DHCPS-fixed
      • Passthrough Fixed MAC Address - Selected my router's MAC address
    • Firewall Advanced - set everything to "Off"
  • Home Network Tab
    • Configure
      • Set Ethernet on Port 1 to "1G full duplex"
    • IPv6
      • Set IPv6 to "Off"
    • Wi-Fi
      • Set Wi-Fi Operation to "Off" for both 2.4 GHz Radio and 5 GHz Radio

I also changed the DNS in the router interface to use Google DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

It depends on what capabilities you need as to whether or not the AT&T router will work for you. It's definitely not a one-size-fits-all device.

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Does anyone know if this question ever got an answer? i just invested in a Wifi 6 mesh router that’s supposed to be screaming fast ($$$) and it is SLOWER than the ATT router was. Is there something in the non-replaceable ATT modem that is blocking my 1GB Theoreical speed, so Im only getting 150 mbps sitting next to the router?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

WiFi 6 is Not “on” yet. You bought a router with future capability. Probably better to start a new thread.

Provide details of your setup, speed plan, switches, router as access point, as router, etc. Wired or wireless speedtest?

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

1 Message

WiFi 6 is Not “on” yet. You bought a router with future capability.

um, what?

If your router and endpoint devices support it, it should work. Or am I misreading something?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

WiFi 6 is not in use on public networks. Only in home networks. And only newer devices. No need to buy a WiFi 6 router yet.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.