Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
kbalkoski's profile

4 Messages

Tuesday, March 19th, 2024 7:16 PM

Difficulties Connecting ASUS Router to Gateway

Trying to get our network setup but I am having some issues. Specifically, when connected to my personal wifi router ASUS GT-AX11000, some websites do not work. When I am connected directly to the AT&T WiFi gateway (BGW320-505), I don't have any issues. Here's what I've done:

• Connected the 5Gb port on the gateway to the 2.5Gb WAN port on my ASUS.
  • Disconnected WiFI on the gateway (I have since turned it back on so we still have internet)
  • I connect my device to my personal network. Most websites work fine (e.g. Google, yahoo.com, amazon.com, etc.) but many do not (e.g. discord, speedtest.net). This is the case on my laptop (linux), my phone, and wife's Mac.
I suspect this may be some DNS issue? A confounding issue might be that my router had been setup with a PiHole. I've tried to have the PiHole connected or not, with no changes. Currently, I have my DNS set to 8.8.8.8.
Any help would be appreciated.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

2 months ago

1) Did you verify that after setting up IP Passthrough your ASUS router had the Public IP address on its WAN (vs a private IP e.g. 192.168.1.x)?

2) What errors do you get when you try to visit discord or speedtest?

3) What does a tracert to these destinations look like?

4 Messages

2 months ago

1) My router is showing the WAN IP as 0.0.0.0

2) I get "The connection has timed out" in Firefox after the browser tries for about 1 min. Using curl, I get something like:

```

❯ curl speedtest.net -v
*   Trying 2a04:4e42:200::731:80...
* Connected to speedtest.net (2a04:4e42:200::731) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: speedtest.net
> User-Agent: curl/7.81.0
> Accept: */*
>
* Mark bundle as not supporting multiuse
< HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
< Connection: close
< Content-Length: 0
< Server: Varnish
< Retry-After: 0
< Content-Type:
< Accept-Ranges: bytes
< Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:00:23 GMT
< Via: 1.1 varnish
< X-Served-By: cache-bur-kbur8200145-BUR
< X-Cache: MISS
< X-Cache-Hits: 0
< X-Timer: S1710954024.835345,VS0,VE0
< location: https://www.speedtest.net/
<
* Closing connection 0

```

3) Using `tracepath` I get this while connected directly to the gateway:

```

❯ tracepath discord.gg
 1?: [LOCALHOST]                      pmtu 1500
 1:  dsldevice.attlocal.net                                1.725ms
 1:  dsldevice.attlocal.net                                3.836ms
 2:  107-204-72-1.lightspeed.sndgca.sbcglobal.net          4.432ms
 3:  71.157.16.80                                          4.455ms
 4:  no reply
 5:  no reply
^C

```

When connected via my ASUS router:

```

❯ tracepath discord.gg
 1?: [LOCALHOST]                      pmtu 1500
 1:  no reply
 2:  no reply
 3:  no reply
 4:  no reply
 5:  no reply
 6:  no reply
^C

```

Whereas `tracepath google.com` looks the same with either connection.

(edited)

4 Messages

2 months ago

And these are my WAN settings:

And this is how things are wired (ignore the raspberry pi rack):

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

2 months ago

Did you notice the bright blue text reading "THE NETWORK CABLE IS UNPLUGGED" at the same time the WAN IP was showing 0.0.0.0?  You cannot really not have a WAN cable, nor can you really have a WAN IP of 0.0.0.0.  Either you're having an intermittent connectivity issue between the two or something funny is going on.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

2 months ago

Another thing I'll add is that I see IPv6 addresses in your traceroutes.  It may be that you're running into trouble with the routing of that out in the Internet.  Unless IPv6 is a requirement for you, consider disabling it on your Gateway and router and see if that resolves the issue.

4 Messages

2 months ago

> Did you notice the bright blue text reading "THE NETWORK CABLE IS UNPLUGGED" at the same time the WAN IP was showing 0.0.0.0?

Yup. This also corresponds to the LED indicator on the router for internet connection being red. However, I do have an ethernet cable going from the 5Gb port on gateway (port 1) going to the 2.5Gb port to the ASUS router as seen in the screenshot above. Best I can tell, this is correctly connected.

> You cannot really not have a WAN cable, nor can you really have a WAN IP of 0.0.0.0.  Either you're having an intermittent connectivity issue between the two or something funny is going on.

Excuse my ignorance, but can you elaborate? My understanding is that the router is unable to generate a proper WAN IP since it doesn't appear that the connection between the devices which results in it defaulting to 0.0.0.0

> Unless IPv6 is a requirement for you, consider disabling it on your Gateway and router and see if that resolves the issue.

Interestingly, when I disable IPv6 on the gateway the ASUS router seems to lose all internet access (e.g. google.com). IPv6 was already disabled on the ASUS router

ACE - Expert

• 

35.6K Messages

2 months ago

I'm still puzzled why this works at all with an error message that indicates no cable connected.  One thing that I'll mention is, especially on certain versions of the Firmware, the Ethernet LAN ports on the BGW320 can be, er, problematic.  This is especially true of the 5 Gbps one.  (a) try testing with a port other than the blue one to see if that helps, (b) if you have an Ethernet Switch sitting around, try connecting with it between the router and the Gateway to see if that gives you a reliable Ethernet connection.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.9K Messages

2 months ago

I have an asus router and sometimes see no wan cable connected. Then it disappears. 

OP needs to restart the router to get the gateway ip. 

Try changing the dhcp lease to 10 minutes. 7 days seems excessive. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.