Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

robjulo1

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

Tue, Jan 21, 2020 1:44 PM

Continued Issues with Internet Dropping

I need help with an ongoing issue that I posted about before. I have 1 gig fiber service. A couple of months ago, out of the blue, many of the wifi devices in my house dropped off the gateway. I was able to get some devices to re-connect, others would not (for example some Apple TVs would connect, some would not; some Windows devices would reconnect, some would not, there was no rhyme or reason).

I contacted AT&T and they determined my gateway needed to be replaced. They dropped shipped me a new gateway, which I installed. The next day, though I was able to get everything to connect, I noticed some devices were continuing to intermittently drop off and would have to be reconnected. I once again contacted AT&T and they "ran tests" remotely and blamed one of the neighborhood boxes, stating they could see issues at several homes. It did not make a lot of sense to me that that would cause my wifi to drop but they insisted on sending a tech out.

The tech came out the next day, said what the rep said over the phone was nonsense, and installed a new gateway, this time a BGW. Although things have improved quite a bit, I'm still having issues with things dropping off. I've notice my iMac, after a day of non-use or so, when I log in, will be disconnected (shows the wifi symbol with an exclamation point.....the same behavior it exhibited when this whole mess first started). I've re-checked all of my iMac settings and there are no settings that should be causing that. The only way to get the iMac to reconnect, is to turn the wifi on the iMac off and turn it back on, simply clicking on the network (even though it shows up in available networks, will not connect.

Similarly, my Directv system is hardwired and has also intermittently lost connection. The only way to get that back online is to power the internet connection box down (unplug it) and then plug it back in....simply unplugging the ethernet cable and plugging back in..does nothing. My nest camera will also lose connection on occasion (but that comes back on its own).

Is there anything (other than the gateway...which I find remarkable that this is the third gateway, two different models and is still doing it) that would cause such issues? The BGW is updated with the latest firmware (as were the pace gateways). Or, possibly is this just by coincidence the iMac and Directv devices crapping out?

Thanks.

Responses

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

I am experiencing exactly the same issues as explained in this post. I am also on my 3rd router... BGW210 > Pace9268 > BGW210 in less than a week! Still same issues. Have asked for rollback to version prior to 2.4.4, the 2.3.4 which had been working just fine for me. However, my concern is that AT&T has made changes at their end involving IP addressing (ipv4/ipv6) etc. That is the only thing making sense to all the issues we both are having with dropped devices, or devices not being visible etc.

• 

7 Messages

I have been having widely varying speeds and dropped internet since day ONE. I have had 2 routers. I have had numerous techs (the last was dipping tobacco with a dip cup IN MY HOME). Drops occur over wifi and ethernet and multiple devices. ATT called me to tell me there was a problem. The techs arrive and don't know what to do. This has been going on for over a YEAR!!!!! Now I have emailed the CEO and have got the attention of the executive team. Still having issues. I have been told that there are 2 IP addresses for my home and devices are confused about which one to use. People say it is impossible for this to happen but according to ATT, it has happened and they don't know how to fix it. I burned up 4 Dish Hoppers. They were continually trying to find the IP address. A DISH exec started monitoring the situation and said that my internet dropped about once/minute. No help in fixing it.

• 

1 Message

This AT&T service is beginning to be a nightmare because it's been off and on for awhile with the intermmitents in my home. Some areas it works and some it doesn't. I would be online on my computer and the hour glass constatnly spins waiting to open. I have to turn off the computer and restart it constantly and I'm trying to do my homeschool work and can't this internet service is causing me to be behind in my school work! It's garbage! Their troubleshoot isn't accurate when it runs a test it claims everything is good which it's not, not waisting my time calling just going to search for another company and get rid of this one. Only solution.

• 

7 Messages

ATT admits that I have IP issues. They say my house has 2 IP addresses which is messing up all devices but they don’t seem to be able to fix it.

Davy49

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

Hi,

I'm on AT&T Internet 1000, I have a Pace 5268AC Gateway installed that's connected to the ONT terminal box that was installed when our service was originally installed. At our home in the section of the subdivision that we live in fiber is the only source of connectivity available. For sometime now, our wifi signal has been intermittently dropping and then reconnecting by itself. I have the at&t smart home app. installed on my phone, of course it reports that everything is okay with the equipment. But obviously I have a problem, I just don't know what it is, I have heard that overtime the ONT terminal boxes do start going bad, but there again while looking at the indicator lamp's on it, everything appears to be functioning normally. While the dropping of the wifi signal isn't a life or death issue, it's still aggravating to be doing something on the internet with either a phone or a computer and have our wifi signal drop without any warning. I've had more than one chat session about this issue, and they were all basically the same. Reboot the gateway, we'll run a diagnostic check on your line, etc. etc. etc. . While I've had overall good service with at&t over the year's that I've been a customer, this wifi connection issue is really starting to bother me, especially because of the monthly amount I pay for it. I know that we don't live in a perfect world, but it would be nice to be able to determine the cause of my internet connectivity issue.

David

browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

Many people, including myself, use a third party wireless router behind the gateway. Any combo modem/router is not going to have great WiFi. Plus home construction and gateway location could be affecting the WiFi. Try an inexpensive wireless router as an access point. Use wired connections whenever possible.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Davy49

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

Hi,
I already have a extra wireless router that I purchased not that long ago. I've done all I can do on my end, I've went into the web page of the gateway and checked all of the settings. I increased the power output setting to the maximum, plus some other things that I knew wouldn't hurt anything. Thanks for the help, I know there's a new gateway being tested in some markets, here's some information about it : https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32605799-BGW320-505-new-gateway-with-integrated-ONT
Have you heard anything about these yet?
They sound / look interesting.
David
browndk26

ACE - Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

Have you tried factory Resetting the Gateway?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…