Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!
krabkin

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Mon, Jun 19, 2017 6:04 PM

Consistently need to reboot my AT&T Gateway to restore Internet connectivity (wired)

I've had my internet for about a month and keep having the internet go out on my Fiber service. The good news is that a simple reboot appears to fix the issue (or at least has the last 6 times), but since this is happening frequently I figured I would ask to see if there is anything I can do to change settings to prevent this from happening.

A little about my setup:

• Wireless disabled on the AT&T Router
  • IP6 disabled
  • 1 computers and 3 eeros plugged into router via wired connection
  • All Eeros operating in pass through mode
  • This is my second AT&T router and still having the issue, AT&T sent a replacement last week

When the internet goes out it hits my wired computer and devices on wireless at the same time. My computer can't even seem to access the routers IP address at 192.x.x.x

Please let me know any advice or ideas. Happy to provide additional information too.

Responses

krabkin

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

statsup1.pngstatusp2.pngstatusp3.png

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

First, don't reboot 5268ac any more as the problem is probably the ONT or the fiber connection. You should have an RJ45 plugged into the red ONT Broadband jack. I would change an option on the Settings/Broadband/Link Connection from 'Automatic Ethernet/DSL' to 'Ethernet'.

The cable from the ONT connection at the back of the 5268ac to the ONT could be suspect but that's for you to figure out. Look for sharp crimps or pinch points or unsecure connectors. Swap out if you can, if not no worries.

Another thing you could try is disconnect your eeros from the Ethernet when convenient and see if that improves things. The eeros may be trying to negotiate something that the 5268ac can't handle.

After all that, the next step would be to call AT&T.

@ATTHelpForums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have the exact same problem. I have tried everything

connreq: all done, close connection...

this is what i see before my eeros go red and network becomes unavailable. 

I called AT&T to ask to replace my modefm

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

@mhmtkcn

You have the same symptom with an eeros? 

@krabkin and @mhmtkcn

As per the eeros web site, you must assign the eeros to the DMZ of the 5268ac. How-do-I-bridge-my-eeros

Is that how your eeros is setup?

I have to say that it has been my experience that using the DMZ of a 5268ac can create issues between a device in the DMZ and the AT&T router upstream from the 5268ac. It did with my Apple Airport Extreme but since I have cascaded the router (non-DMZ) no more problems.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

I haven't set them up that way. They're in bridge mode, but not in the DMZ. I didn't see where it referenced the DMZ on the Eero page. 

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

@krabkin wrote:

I haven't set them up that way. They're in bridge mode, but not in the DMZ. I didn't see where it referenced the DMZ on the Eero page. 

Yah, your right I misread. However, on this link, Can-I-double-NAT-my-eero-with-my-current-router-, they say you can do it either way. Have you tried a Double NAT setup? This is how my router works best.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

3 years ago

Not sure I understand how to do the double NAT properly. I'll contact Eero and report back though it may be a few days.

ApexRon

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

3 years ago

@krabkin

The AT&T provided router/gateway is not well engineered. One solution will work with a Linksys but not a eeros kind of thing. So one has to try multiple solutions to find the one that works best.

Have a great weekend.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Same issue here. Funny thing is the guest wifi works. Everything else stops. Ethernet ports and regular wifi dead but guest wifi works. Very annoying but after a reset of the router it works again. Happens every 1 - 2 days.

Call tech support right. I have such poor experience with that I rather reboot/reset for now.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Found this thread in google search.  I have had fiber for over a year and it started off great.  Now I'm having to reboot this stupid modem every 4-5 days.  It's getting ridiculous.  
Before you ask any remedial troubleshooting questions, I'm an IT Infrastructure Engineer with 17 years of experience so I've done all the basics.

Symptom:  All connections die.  Wired, wireless doesn't matter.  I'm using three different DNS providers so it's not that (Google > Cloudflare > ATT).  It doesn't correlate to any high traffic on my network.  Timing is random but seems to be at the most inconvenient time possible.  

Workaround:  I've already tested all of my equipment.  The issue is the modem.  Once it's rebooted, internet is restored.  No other changes needed on my end.  It's like the modem just decides to stop routing traffic.  

Setup:

I have all built in wireless turned off.  I have no firewall rules.  My real firewall/router is behind the modem and in the DMZ handling everything.  So the modem has one job to do and it's failing at that.  The modem is so bad that I can't even load some of the pages.  When I click on the applications, pinholes or firewall rules page it will spin for about 15-30+ minutes before it loads up.  This is the same if I'm direct plugged in. Whatever OS these modems are using is complete crap.  I've seen better freeware. 

I guess I need a new modem?  Just reading through this thread doesn't give me confidence that it'll fix the issue though.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 months ago

I am having the same problem with a similar setup.  Modem in DMZ mode, Edge Router X doing the heavy lifting and UniFi APs in the House.  I eliminated everything back to the modem.  Used to work great, but now having to reboot the modem daily.  Was AT&T helpful with modem replacement?  Did it solve your problem?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 months ago

Duplicate post. Ignore

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 months ago

Update:  Neighbor nearly cut my fiber line in half. Technician came out to pull a new line. While talking to him, I mentioned this issue and he suggested a new modem. He had one on the truck and swapped it out. Everything has been rock solid since. Speeds are consistent with the new pull and the modem has been up 99% (needed one reboot in the last two months). 

krabkin

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 months ago

Yep. Modem replacement helped a ton

Get started...

Ask a new question