For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
N

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, November 21st, 2020 9:52 PM

cisco gigabit switch no internet with AT&t arris bgw210-700

I'm using AT&t arris bgw210-700 gateway for AT&T internet connection. I just setup cisco SG112-24 24-Port Gigabit Switch connecting with the bedroom ethernet port, so that I can get more ports for wired connections. However, even green lights are on in the switch, there is no internet when I launch a browser. The home internet is working fine without the switch. Any ideas? Are there any configurations I need to do in the gateway admin console? Please advise. thanks!!

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

So you have a bedroom port where the switch plugs in and that port presumably goes back to one of the BGW's yellow Ethernet ports?  What happens if you plug a computer directly into that bedroom port instead of the Cisco switch, does that computer work ok?

To answer your question, no, this is a totally unmanaged "dumb" switch so there aren't any settings in the BGW or the switch that need to be changed.

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

thanks @tonydi Yes it is working when the bedroom port connect to my computer directly. But it doesn't work after switch is connected to the bedroom port, and then computer connect with the switch

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

Well then, the only things I can think of that are left are the switch itself or the cable from the switch to the wall.

How about this....bring the switch to the BGW and plug it into the same Ethernet port as the bedroom was and then see if a computer connected to the switch works. 

When you plug into the switch (both the bedroom's port and the computer) do you see two green LEDs on each port of the switch?

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks tonydi, yes, both the bedroom port and computer port have green LEDS, but still no internet. 

When I tried with NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, I'm able to connect with internet. Does it mean the cisco switch is malfunctional? Do you know any tests I can do to make sure cisco switch is functional?

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

Hey @nanadaidaiz what ports are you using on the Cisco switch?

Try port 4 - connecting to Ethernet port on wall

Try port 5 - connecting to Ethernet port on computer

Dave

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

So you swapped in the Netgear using the exact same cables as on the Cisco so the only difference is the switch?

Can you ping the BGW successfully through the switch (ping 192.168.1.254)?

If so, can you ping an Internet IP address (ping 8.8.8.8)?

What is the IP address of the computer when connected to the Cisco?

Have you tried using different ports on the Cisco for connecting to the bedroom port and also for the computer (looking to see if it's a specific port on the switch that's bad)?

@dave006   Sorry, typing while you posted.  Did you find something that shows that the Cisco ports are dedicated for certain functions?  I can't find any documentation other than the "quick start" guide which is of no help.

(edited)

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

Sorry, typing while you posted.  Did you find something that shows that the Cisco ports are dedicated for certain functions?  I can't find any documentation other than the "quick start" guide which is of no help.

No magic just logic from years of network IT work and the most common issues / mistakes folks make.

Most users start with port 1-2-3. Since we don't know what ports are in-use I just picked the next even odd pair of ports 4-5.

It is really odd since the Netgear switch worked and I would logically have expected the same cables to have been used so the last logical test is different ports on the Cisco 24 port switch.

Dave

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

I used the exact same cables from netgear.

1) I used port 4 in cisco switch connecting to Ethernet port on wall, and this is orange solid light. I swapped the ports between port 4 and 5, and tried other ports, and same orange solid light.

2) I used port 5 in cisco switch connecting to Ethernet port on computer, and this is solid green light.

I googled and solid orange - port in error disable, spanning-tree negotiation, Trunk to access port mismatch or switch may have a faulty port. Port is shutdown for a 6500.

The port 4 is working fine, and other ports are fine since I saw green light when connecting to computer.

I'm unable to ping 192.168.1.254 from the computer via the cisco switch, but I am able to ping if the computer connects to Ethernet port on the wall.

Not sure what's happening here...

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

3 years ago

Try using the locking the port speed on either or both devices. I've seen auto-negotiation fail and cause this sort of issue 

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks JefferMC. How to do "locking the port speed?" This is cisco SG112-24 24-Port Gigabit Switch, there is no setup or configuration changes I can make

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.